Buttons do not work in OpenOffice plug-in 3.5a2 with Firefox 5

Hello
I submitted error report 1952473862

I am using:
Firefox 5
Zotero 2.1.8
Open office 3.3.0
with Windows Starter

The citation tool bar is present in my office documents however when I click on the button to insert a citation in new and old files nothing happens.

I was having this problem earlier, however it was solved by using open office plugin zotero 2.1 (3.1b1). After upgrading to Firefox 5 this plugin no longer worked so I installed open office plugin for Zotero 2.1 (3.5a2) and the problem returned. I have reinstalled Zotero and open office to no avail.

Suggestions?
  • I have the same problems after I have upgraded my system yesterday.

FF 5.0
    Zotero 2.1.8
    OO Integration 3.5a2
    LibreOffice 3.3.2 [OOO330m19 (Build:202) tag libreoffice-3.3.2.2, Ubuntu package 1:3.3.2-1ubuntu6~ppa1]
    Ubuntu 11.04

The icons are available in Libre Office. When trying to edit an existent citation nothing happens. I have opened a new document, inserted a citation. The pop-up for the selection of a quotation style appears, I can choose a style. The an error message appears:

----

Ann error occured communicating with zotero.
    Java.lang.NullPointerExeption
    at
    org.zotero.integration.ooo.Comm.GetMessageResponse (Comm.java:190)
    org.zotero.integration.ooo.Comm.ReadMessage (Comm.java:128)
    ... and various others I can't type in right now

----

I use the right java version (sun java).

Please provide help, I need to get to work.

Thanks,
    versa
  • versa, that's not the same problem. That's this problem.
  • Simon, thanks!

Sorry for misunderstanding this threat. I could solve the problem by re-installing the plugin and manually re-setting the path.
  • Hello
    I switched to standalone Zotero and the open office integration is working. I would still like to know why the Firefox integrated Zotero doesn't work but it is not imperative.
  • Is going to the standalone version the only way to address this? I like Firefox 5. I like Open Office 3. I like Zotero. I'd also like for them to communicate effectively with each other. Unfortunately I, too, have the malfunctioning issue with add in 3.5.a2 that was cited at the beginning of the thread. An added and, I think, odd wrinkle in this for me is: all is working well on my laptop. The problems are on my new netbook. Same 3 pieces of software cited above on both laptop and netbook. Yet laptop works and netbook doesn't. I would appreciate any suggestions to fix this beyond just moving to the standalone. Thanks much!
  • daviddj - this is working for most people (and for 50% of your computers, it seems), troubleshooting will need to be case-by-case and based on more complete reports:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_bugs
    (including full version numbers, troubleshooting steps undertaken etc.)
    And no, I doubt that standalone is the way to go, especially at this point, where it's still in alpha.
  • I tried again with the same result. This time I sent an Error Report. The Error Report number is: 1251667807.

This is not an intermittent problem. It occurs every time I try to reinstall the addin. The specific message that I get within OpenOffice is: "Could not create java implementation loader." When I try to install the addin from within Firefox I get this error message: "Installation could not be completed because an error occurred. Please ensure that OpenOffice.org is closed, and then restart Firefox." Again, this is not intermittent. I have installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled 8 or 9 times now and got the same results each time. I am using:
    Asus netbook
    Windows Home Premium 7
    OpenOffice 3.1
    Zotero 2.1.8
  • ah. You're using an outdated version of Open Office. Update.