Style Error: The Journal of Neuroscience (Author Date) (dev)

Dear zotero experts,
I have found errors in the bibliography of this style:
1. when using it with the word plug in it introduces unwanted spaces between the initial of the last author and the first paranthesis of the date (double space) and between the second paranthesis of the date (double space) and the title of the article. I have checked it in the reference test pane. It seems to work fine in there, but still introduces this error in my document.
2. there are no dots at the end of the citation in the bibliography (after page numbers).
3. in the list of references, papers should be given in alphabetical order according to the surname of the first author. In two-author papers with the same first author, the order is alphabetical by the second author's name. In three-or-more-author papers with the same first author, the order is chronological. This seems not to be the case. Citations are ordered by citing position in the article.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Nina
  • By downloading the newest zotero version, problems 1 and 3 were solved. Problem 2 still exists
  • I'm using the newest version of Zotero and I still have problem 1. Also, from the second line of a reference in the bibliography, the reference text should be indented; this lacks in word documents.

Thanks
  • I fixed issues 1 and 2 as well as indentation.
    The new style is in the csl 1.0 repository.
    download here
    https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/raw/master/journal-neuroscience.csl
  • edited July 6, 2011
    There are a few remaining minor issues with this style. I can fix most of them and will post an updated version here in a few days time. But there is one issue I am not sure how to fix.

It is most easily explained by example. I have uploaded a zotero RDF export containing 3 items from my library here: git://gist.github.com/1068547.git

Using this style to create a multi in-text citation containing these 3 items, the citation Mian et al 2005 comes between Day & Fitzpatrick 2005a and Day & Fitzpatrick 2005b. Mian et al 2005 should come after the two Day & Fitzpatrick citations. How do I force this behaviour?

Thanks

EDIT: Perhaps I should have directed to this URL for the RDF export mentioned above: https://gist.github.com/1068547
  • the relevant part of the style is the <sort> element of the <citation> section. I don't know exactly what the ordering rules are, but you'd probably want to add key macro="author-cit" somewhere. It may also be a good idea to use the year-date macro instead of the issue variable for sorting.
  • I've changed the <sort> element of the <citation> section to the following:

<sort>
    <key macro="year-date"/>
    <key macro="author-cit"/>
    </sort>

However this does not solve the problem.

To clarify, I'd like the multi-citation to be ordered as follows:
    (Day and Fitzpatrick, 2005a, 2005b; Mian et al., 2005)
    but I'm getting this:
    (Day and Fitzpatrick, 2005a; Mian et al., 2005; Day and Fitzpatrick, 2005b)

These are the current versions of the relevant macros:

<macro name="year-date">
    <choose>
    <if variable="issued">
    <date variable="issued">
    <date-part name="year"/>
    </date>
    </if>
    <else>
    <text term="no date" form="short"/>
    </else>
    </choose>
    </macro>

<macro name="author-cit">
    <names variable="author">
    <name form="short" and="text" delimiter=" " initialize-with=""/>
    <substitute>
    <names variable="editor"/>
    <names variable="translator"/>
    <text macro="anon"/>
    </substitute>
    </names>
    </macro>
  • OK, I can reproduce this - that would appear to be a bug - I'll let the csl people know.
    You can get the right order by removing the year-date sort key entirely, but that may be wrong in other cases depending on the style's requirements (i.e. if otherwise citations should be sorted chronologically).
  • Yes, the primary sort needs to be chronological so I can't remove year-date sort. It's not a major issue for me so I have no need for a workaround prior to th bug fix.
  • Yep, it's a bug alright. The order of the entries was drifting when the year was the same across all items in adjacent groups. I'll check in a fix in a few minutes (it's done, but the pre-release test suite takes a few minutes to run). Should turn up in the next Zotero release.
  • I have another question before I post an amended version of this style here.

The style name ends with "(author-date)". This is an author-date style, but what's the point of having that in the title? There is only one style for this journal and having author-date in the title might cause someone to wonder if there is another version. In my opinion it would be best to remove "(author-date)" from the title but I don't know the etiquette for renaming styles in the repository. Can an experienced member please provide advice/opinion? If it is acceptable to rename it, I assume I should change <title> but keep <id> and <link as they are.

By the way, there are 20 styles in the repository with author-date in the title and 5 with numeric. Perhaps in some cases these are necessary to distinguish variants of general styles (????), but for specific journal styles they seem unnecessary and, as noted above, a potential source of uncertainty.
  • It only recently became possible in the style repository to filter styles by their format. Having the info in the title might be helpful in some cases, but I think we can safely remove it from the titles of journal-specific styles (like yours).
  • I have made a few amendements to this style:
    https://gist.github.com/1144906

These are the changes:
    *Added page-range-format="expanded" to style section
    *Change <sort> elements of citation section to use macros instead of variable.
    *Amended editor macro to display editors in same format as authors
    *Amended book, chapter, and paper-conference sections in the bibliography so that
    a) editors now appear in parentheses after book title.
    b) Where necessary, commas and periods now display between elements.
    c) page numbers appear before publisher info.

Feel free to post to repository.
  • edited August 15, 2011
    Committed. Github.com isn't entirely happy right now (http://status.github.com/ says "Some of our queues are backed up"), so it might be a while before your amended style shows up in the Zotero Style Repository.