individually style first name and last name

Hi,

I'd like to style first and last name individually in my citation format. As a result, I'd like to have LAST NAME (small-caps), first name (normal).

It seems like you cannot do this since there's only one variable "author". Short vs. long form doesn't help either.

Do I miss something?

As a side note: Is there some kind of substring() function? I'd like to extract the first latter of a name.

Thanks,
Ralf
  • I'd like to style first and last name individually in my citation format. As a result, I'd like to have LAST NAME (small-caps), first name (normal).
    No, you cannot do this.

CSL is designed to be internationally-friendly, and one of the consequences of that is it makes no culturally-specific assumptions about name representation. What this means is that there's no such thing as "first" and "last" name in the model. And if we added a more generic family and given, things would get a lot more complicated quickly (since you'd have to explicitly account for all the variations in sorting and display in each style).

As an aside, I really hate styles that require small caps, since most fonts (aside from professional ones) don't actually have real small caps. As a result, they look like crap.

But I know that's not your fault ;-)
  • Can we change the style betyeen first and last name now?
  • yes - see here
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/5864/how-to-capitalize-only-the-authors-last-name/#Item_19
    admins - please close this outdated thread.
This discussion has been closed.