Virtual Private Network + ISI Web of Knowledge

Dear all,
I have access to ISI Web of Knowledge through a Virtual Private Network (VPN), that grants me access to the university facilities from my laptop at home.
Within this VPN the URL bar turns yellow and a padlock appears at the right corner, meaning that the pages are being encrypted before being sent through the internet.
I have realized that when i search anything when i am in this VPN, the little folder on the right corner does not appear. If I use, for instance, google scholar while i am in this VPN no little folder shows up, nor when I am using ISI Web of Knowledge.

Then, should I give up or there is a small possibility to let Zotero "sense" references and citations within this VPN?

Regards
  • What's an example of a proxied URL?
  • This is what appears in my URL bar when I log into Web of Science from the VPN

https://vpn1.hw.ac.uk/Web/UA_GeneralSearch_input.do,CVPNHost=apps.isiknowledge.com,CVPNProtocol=http,CVPNOrg=full,CVPNExtension=.do?product=UA&search_mode=GeneralSearch&SID=N2AlD7nFDAma1baJOpI&preferencesSaved=

I do not know if I have answered the question properly. My knowledge on IT is scarce...
  • Yeah, unfortunately it's rather difficult to support proxies/VPNs that rewrite URLs to such a degree. We're looking to add more sophisticated proxy support to Zotero that would allow for the sort of pattern matching necessary to support a URL like that, but at the moment I'm afraid it won't work. You may be able to use export links (for example, to RIS format) on various sites to get data into Zotero without having to retype it manually.
  • Ok, It is a pity, Zotero has got such a nice interface...

Thanks very much
  • drodophila:

Well, for what I'm doing at the moment, I find that going to google scholar, typing in as much of the reference as will render it distinctive (like the title in quotes for example) and then importing into Zotero from Google Scholar, then using Google Scholar's OpenURL support to get my library copy of the fulltext is working really really well for me. Maybe you can adapt this workflow.
  • Thanks for the advice kieren