Problem with IEEE Xplore

I'm running Zotero 2.0rc2 on Firefox 3.6 and Windows 7. When I try to grab papers from IEEE Xplore I get an error message. Abbreviated log follows:

(4)(+0000000): Translate: Parsing code for IEEE Xplore

(3)(+0000006): created hidden browser (2)

(3)(+0000001): loading http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=957751

(3)(+0000012): Translate: Translation successful

(3)(+0002527): http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=957751&tag=1 has been loaded

(3)(+0000006): deleted hidden browser

(2)(+0000002): Translate: Translation using IEEE Xplore failed:
QueryInterface => function QueryInterface() {
[native code]
}
message => Could not convert JavaScript argument arg 2 [nsIDOMXPathEvaluator.evaluate]
result => 2153185289
name => NS_ERROR_XPC_BAD_CONVERT_JS
filename => chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/translate.js
lineNumber => 902
columnNumber => 0
initialize => function initialize() {
[native code]
}
url => http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=957751
downloadAssociatedFiles => true
automaticSnapshots => true
  • Report ID: 1138369808

I have a problem with IEEE Explore too, which started with rc2.

For example:

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org.proxy.libraries.rutgers.edu/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=4914870&isnumber=5307285&tag=1

gives me the could not save error.
    --------------------------
    [JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Could not convert JavaScript argument arg 2 [nsIDOMXPathEvaluator.evaluate]" nsresult: "0x80570009 (NS_ERROR_XPC_BAD_CONVERT_JS)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/translate.js :: anonymous :: line 902" data: no]" {file: "file:///C:/Users/sanjit/Documents/ZoTero/translators/IEEE%20Xplore.js" line: 0}]

[JavaScript Error: "this.docShell is null" {file: "chrome://global/content/bindings/browser.xml" line: 0}]

[JavaScript Error: "this.docShell is null" {file: "chrome://global/content/bindings/browser.xml" line: 0}]
  • Same here. Report ID: 535894957

Cannot use IEEEXplore, which is where 99% of the papers I have to view are.
  • Very same problem with firefox 3.6 and zotero 2.0rc5 ! I did not reported the trace, very similar to the one reported (first comment)
  • Hi!

I have the same IEEExplore-problem with firefox 3.6 and zotero 2.0rc5 (but not with firefox 3.5.7).
    Report ID:1757272966

Thanks
  • Another with the same problem, FF 3.6 and Z 2.0rc5
  • I have the same problem with IEEE Xplore

Windows XP SP3, Firefox 3.6, I have Zotero latest version installed.

Report ID -1096240324-

Here is the link.
    http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/search/advsearch.jsp?tag=1

The error is ''Could not save item. Known Translator Issues".

Thanks.
  • Same problem here with FF 3.5.7 and Z 1.0.10 on Windows XP and Mac OSX 10.6.

Since IEEE has relaunched the website the translator does not work anymore and probably needs an update. Error message while trying to add a paper to the Zotero database is something like "article coul'd not be saved. ... Contact author of translator".

Anyone knows the author(s) of the IEEE translator?

Thanks.
  • We're aware of this issue. Ticket created.
  • Got IEEE Explore to download a citation using this method:

Clicked download citation, chose BibTeX. This put the citation in the clipboard.

Then opened Zotero half-screen, choose download citation from clipboard.

Works for the time being...
  • Another solution for downloading a citation from IEEE Xplore:
    1.- Got IEEE Xplore and search your paper.
    2.- Click download citation.
    3.- In the box: Choose EndNote, ProCite, ...
    4.- In the box: Click Download Citation.

You can check the citation in the Zotero half-screen showed in Firefox.
  • thanks sboyd and Atackama, their solutions worked.
  • Can I make him automatically download and attatch the file using these methods (Atakama & sboyd)?
    Does anybody know when a fix should be releassed?
    Thanks!
  • edited April 20, 2010
    The note in known_translator_issues says:
    "IEEE Xplore
    Broken after a site update. A new version should be available shortly".

But the ticket is more than 2 months old.....

I fear the solution is more difficult than anticipated :*(
  • edited May 5, 2010
    I updated the IEEE Xplore translator to fix this bug.

Quick solution to exchange the translator:

1. download IEEExplore translator

[incorrect installation instructions removed — D.S.]

Hope that might be helpful for someone.
  • edited May 5, 2010
    koenings: Thanks very much for working on this, but please post translators to zotero-dev. Unapproved translators pose a security risk, and we discourage end users from installing translators from people they don't know.

(And there's no need to touch translators.zip. Updated translators can be placed right into the 'translators' directory in the Zotero data directory, replacing the existing file (which in this case has a different filename from yours))
  • thanks for the update. Unfortunately it doesn't really works for me. From the main search page I can see an improvement. With the update I can now choose which papers I want to save. But when I try to directly save an opened paper it still gives mie the same error as before. Any suggestions?
  • I think there have been changes in the DOM model on IEEE xplore again. So I changed the translator code again. The new version is still available at the above link.

Stillman: When I replace the "IEEE Xplore.js" in the translator directory it will be overwritten with the version in the translator.zip when I restart Firefox (AFAIK).
  • It shouldn't be replaced until you upgrade to a new version of Zotero (at which point translators.zip would be replaced anyway). If it is, that's a bug.
  • I couldn't reconstruct the behavior, so I guess it was my mistake. It works fine with just replacing the js-file (until next upgrade of course).
  • The updated translator has been committed to the repository (https://www.zotero.org/trac/changeset/6106) and it should hit clients in the near future.
  • It looks like the IEEE translator hasn't been updated yet since I'm still getting errors. Anyone know when this might be happening?
  • The problem still seems to persist :-( I'm offering a paypal-pizza to whomever fixes this ;-)
  • I like pizza, but I don't know how soon I'll be able to do this.
  • Hey all,
    Any solution for the IEEE problem with zotero, as koening solution still not working.
    Regards,
  • Please add my need for this translator to work correctly