Citations not collapsing

2»
  • Great, that's exactly what we've been looking for.
  • edited June 15, 2011
    John, if we look at the references to the papers by Hasan et al., we can conclude that cites are grouped and collapsed if the first author is the same, even if the co-authors differ.

For example, the two cites in the citation "(Hasan et al., 2008a,b)" link to the papers

Hasan, K.M., Ewing-Cobbs, L., Kramer, L.A., Fletcher, J.M., Narayana, P.A., 2008a.
    Diffusion tensor quantification of the macrostructure and microstructure of human midsagittal corpus callosum across the lifespan. NMR Biomed. 21, 1094–1101.
    Hasan, K.M., Kamali, A., Kramer, L.A., Papnicolaou, A.C., Fletcher, J.M., Ewing-Cobbs, L., 2008b. Diffusion tensor quantification of the human midsagittal corpus callosum subdivisions across the lifespan. Brain Res. 1227, 52–67.

This is now cleared up, but we have one more question. What happens if two papers are cited for which the first authors have the same family name, but different given names? For example, consider we have one paper written by A. Hasan, and one by B. Hasan. If these two papers are cited together, do we still have collapsing, with the result "(Hasan 2008a,b)"? Some styles add initials to disambiguate the names: "(A. Hasan 2008, B. Hasan 2008)". Alternatively, you could use "(Hasan 2008a, Hasan 2008b)", where you separate the names but don't disambiguate them. Do you know how the Elsevier journals handle such cases?
  • That is a good question, and I don't recall any preference being specified in any of the Elsevier Author Instructions I've seen. I don't have any particular examples, but the "disambiguation by adding additional parts of names" (i.e. something like (A. Hasan 2008, B. Hasan 2008)) seems to be the way I've seen it done in the past. No idea whether it's just an initial or the entire given name, however. Good luck! -John