Problems with epidemiology citation styles from repository in MS Word

I have installed some new citation styles from the repository, but when I go to use them in MS Word, nothing changes. I can switch freely between the standard styles that came installed with Zotero, but when I go to use one of the new styles, it just displays the previous style that was used. I am using version 2.1.7 and I have tried re-installing the styles. The specific styles I have added are: American Journal of Epidemiology and International Journal of Epidemiology.
  • those styles are both exact copies of the Vancouver style, so you can use that instead. If that's not correct, please report the differences here.
    But to clarify - you've tried switching to an entirely different style - like APA - and then to one of the Epidemiology journals and the citations stay in APA?
    That would be a bug then and an error report, created right after switching styles would be helpful:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_bugs
  • Correct, if I switch to APA and then back to AJE, it remains APA.

Differences between AJE and Vancouver styles:
    - AJE style only lists 3 authors, then et al. (Vancouver style lists 6)
    - Journal title is italicized in the AJE style
    - Only the year of date is listed in the AJE style (Vancouver style includes month and day)
  • OK - I'll fix AJE as soon as possible and I hope Simon can have another look into the larger issue, but even if this were to work correctly at this time, AJE would look exactly like Vancouver - I suggest you use Vancouver right now and I'll post here once a correct AJE style exists.
  • oh and an error report as specified above would still be helpful.
  • I'd also noticed the above differences between AJE and Vancouver style. After reading the posts above, I've just updated the AJE Zotero style (dated 5/18/2011) and found that journal title is now properly italicized, but the month is inappropriately added and all authors are listed (instead of 3 authors + et al., as AJE prefers). Quotes around article titles are inappropriately added also.
    I'll ask if AJE can work with Zotero to produce a style if I get the opportunity during my manuscript submission.
    Would it make sense to have a separate bug reporting system devoted entirely to style errors/updates?
    Thanks for your help - Zotero is awesome!
  • The journal title still shouldn't be italicized - the update date is a fluke of moving the repository to a new version - currently AJE is still a Vancouver copy and I don't see how/why it would put journal titles in italics.

Why do you not think the forum is a good place to report style issues?
  • I've just noticed an error RE my previous post. It turns out I wasn't in AJE (or Vancouver) style after all. On my system, AJE style appears identical to Vancouver. This morning, when I attempted to switch styles in my Word document, it threw the same error twice (something like 'style undefined' - I can't currently reproduce it), but later it worked; perhaps that also happened yesterday, but I missed the error message. This is a Word 2003 document being edited in Word 2010 on Windows 7, Zotero 2.1.7 in Firefox 4.0.1.

RE the forum & style issues, it seems to me that tailoring styles requires attention to many small details and that a more formal 'bug' reporting system might facilitate tracking those details. Of course whether this is actually a good idea depends on the requirements of the developers/maintainers - just a suggestion on my part.
  • People are actually working on such a feedback system for styles, though I'm at this point still skeptical - precisely because styles contain so many details I prefer the longform of the forum - has worked pretty well so far, I think.

Unless you can reproduce the style undefined error I wouldn't worry about it. Also, you should update to 2.1.8. I'll post here once AJE is fixed.
  • OK I've replaced AJE with a corrected style - should show up very soon, let me know how it goes.
    If someone still needs the IJE style, please start a new thread following these guidelines:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/requesting_styles
  • Sadly, my paper has been rejected by AJE, but no doubt I will use the new style at a later date. Happened to be browsing the International Journal of Epidemiology the other day and their instructions for authors require Vancouver style. Thanks, adamsmith!