Report 843301403 "Empty response from server"

Hello everyone,

I just upgraded my account to 1GB, after having not synced for some months and working locally on two computers. After my upgrade was through, I synced the first computer, then the second (which had the newer files). However, something does not seem to work with the sync now anymore. Both computers did sync (which took an awful long time) with this result: computer no 1 did not get the newest files, and computer 2 now has the newest files plus an older version of the folder as a copy.

now I am a bit unsure what to do. I tried syncing again just now on computer 1, which resulted in the above error.

any ideas or suggestions anyone? I would like to be able to use my new zotero space!

thanks in advance,

arjan
  • looks like a temporary server problem, just don't do anything and wait until devs report back - usually takes less than 12hs on these types of issues.
  • edited June 13, 2011
    Same situation here - I am unable to sync my Zotero library as well at the moment. I work from multiple computers and use Zotero as my hub for syncing everything from working files to research papers. When the server goes down like this and affects the work flow for possible 12 hours, it is a long time to wait.

Which prompts me to ask this question. At the moment you have liberated the file syncing portion of Zotero sync through WebDAV which is great. Do you think it would be good feature to also transfer the database syncing capability to WebDAV as well so people who chose to use their own server infrastructure can rely on themselves for the system to be running? This will take the load off Zotero servers as well and give flexibility those who truly prefer to be in control of their critical services.
  • Hi all,

I seem to be having the same issue as above, both while trying to synch my Zotero in Firefox, as well as trying to access my library via zotero.org.

Report ID: 1400616535

And Javascript Errors:
    [JavaScript Error: "p.onLocationChange is not a function" {file: "chrome://browser/content/tabbrowser.xml" line: 516}]
    [JavaScript Error: "p.onStatusChange is not a function" {file: "chrome://browser/content/tabbrowser.xml" line: 546}]
    [JavaScript Error: "p.onStatusChange is not a function" {file: "chrome://browser/content/tabbrowser.xml" line: 546}]

When trying to access data via library on Zotero.org this was the message:
    "There was a problem fetching the items in this library. Please try again in a few minutes."

So we just wait?

Thanks,
    B
  • Same problem here
  • @Bram - yes, just wait (those errors actually have nothing to do with this, though).

@pasan - no, that wouldn't work for a whole host of reason - the data syncing is much more complex than the file syncing (which builds on top of the existing data syncing). it would make collaboration, especially with "strangers" impossible and more generally defeat (some of the) purpose of Zotero etc.

That said, technically the server code available, too, and there actually are by now a couple (or at least one) group that run their own data serve
    http://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_dataserver
    but that's not an option for regular users without an IT guy/(or otherwise uber-nerd) to set it up and maintain it.
  • @adamsmith thanks for that clarification. glad the server is up again.