"'Empty response from server. Please try again in a few minutes.'

I have gotten the following error code when trying to sync my laptop.

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Empty response from server. Please try again in a few minutes.' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]

I only have a little over 400 files in my library and have emptied my trash. I've tried this several times over the last several hours and gotten the same message. I'm plugged into a hardline, not doing this wireless. The report ID is 1036626129. Please help.

Thanks!
  • I have exactly the same problem. Since I begun to be user of ZOTERO two days ago.

Sebastian
  • Hi, I want to report I am experiencing the same problem. I have just created an account and then a new group, but the group folder does not appear in my library. I got the following message

Empty response from server. Please try again in a few minutes.

this is my report reference 1955379323

thanks

Luca
  • I seem to have the same problem. Error message: "Empty response from server. Please try again in a few minutes." Report ID: 885412205.

It occurs on both my Mac and Linux machines, and I also can't access my storage when I login to zotero.org. I use version 2.1.7 and have a rather small library of about 500 items. Have been using zotero for years, but never encountered this problem. Would be great to get some help with this.

Thanks,

Falk
  • Hi all,
    I have the same issue, it seems: "Empty response from server. Please try again in a few minutes."

The Report ID: 1126342080

And the detailed errors are indicated here:
    [JavaScript Error: "p.onLocationChange is not a function" {file: "chrome://browser/content/tabbrowser.xml" line: 516}]

[JavaScript Error: "p.onStatusChange is not a function" {file: "chrome://browser/content/tabbrowser.xml" line: 546}]

[JavaScript Error: "p.onStatusChange is not a function" {file: "chrome://browser/content/tabbrowser.xml" line: 546}]

Could someone help me with this? Up till today Zotero has been working like a clock!

Thanks a lot!
    Bram
  • I have the same problem and my report id is: 1973735566
  • edited June 13, 2011
    Glad to see it's not just me.

Yesterday the syncing was unreliable, and the green syncing arrow just kept going round & round for ages without any data being transferred (according to the network status). Eventually (after a coupe of restarts and rebooting my router) it sync'ed and worked.

Today I get:

"Empty response from server. Please try again in a few minutes"

I have tried "Restore to Zotero Server" with no success, and the usual reboots etc make no difference.

When trying to access the library via Zotro.org, I get "There was a problem fetching the items in this library. Please try again in a few minutes." I guess that means it's a server issue...

Firefox 4.01, Zotero 2.17 (Firefox Plug-in), on two seperate machines - 32 Bit XP and 64 Bit Win 7.

My error report ID is: 544342841.
  • Same here. Different machines, all on zotero 2.1.7

Attachments go to a webdav server and seem to sync...

[JavaScript Error: "no element found" {file: "https://sync.zotero.org/login" line: 1}]

[JavaScript Error: "no element found" {file: "https://sync.zotero.org/login" line: 1}]

error report ID: 1508000603
  • Same here.
    ID = 1105297745
  • I am also having this problem and have been unable to access my library today. This happened later during last week also and hasn't been rectified.
  • Same problem. Report ID 1339550210
  • Same problem. Report ID 1101801182
  • Just to clarify - this particular problem started some time last night/early morning - everything you encountered before that is unrelated.
    Expect a dev to post here once it's resolved.

There is no need to keep reporting error reports etc. at this point - they'll have plenty of those. You can use the "subscribe to discussion" button on the left if you want to make sure to receive any dev update posted in this thread (as well as any other posts) by e-mail.
  • Just to say that I can confirm the above, I'm getting the same or very similar issues with this. Various machines, laptop, work machine, home office all the same error. Or eternally spinng arrow of sync just turning and turning. Note, that this is with autosync turned on. Sometimes, with it off, it will sync. But basically it's irregular enough to make me panic.

Now, just to say that Zotero and the 'crew' are doing the most amazing of jobs and I really can't thank you guys enough.

Peace Mr Hay
  • Oh and just to add that when I try to access the 'storage' tab on the zotero site, it provides me with an 'error' too.
  • edited June 13, 2011
    This (and related website errors) should now be resolved. We're looking into the cause. Our apologies for the inconvenience.
  • It might be that the same problem is still happening, or mine might be different:

ID 221543627 an hour ago, now 1519776526

Both times, the sync arrow spinning for a long time and not able to sync.
  • Watching the green sync arrow (still) spinning away, I am wondering if I've got the same or a different problem. This laptop hasn't been able to sync in 9 days, and my desktop hasn't synced in 4 days. Unfortunately, I neglected to export my library from the laptop before, just now, reinstalling Firefox and Zotero, so I lost some stuff. Is it possible to examine my account from your end and figure out what's going on? Not that I don't appreciate all your hard work - I certainly do - but I'm wondering if it would be more reliable to sync with Dropbox. I would appreciate hearing your current thoughts about that.
  • Unfortunately, it's still happening for me:
    "Invalid response from server. Please try again in a few minutes."

ID: 305087629
  • dunlavy: Start a new thread.
  • Mine's resolved -- all working great. Thanks for the fix!
This discussion has been closed.