Word 2008 crash on adding bibliography

Hello,
I have Word 2008 (mac) and Firefox 3.6 and today's version of zotero (using an imported bibliography from endnote with some 40 pubmed references) -
I just installed zotero and everything worked well until i tried to add a bibliography. The bibliography was indeed added (correctly) but immediately after, word got the spinning beach ball and i had to force quit.
I have had the exact same problem with endnote and word - this was the reason for trying zotero!
Anyone knows what to do?
Thanks,
Adam
  • Do you have the latest updates to Word 2008? Generally speaking, a Word crash is a Word problem.
  • Yes, I have the latest version. It may well be that this is a Word problem, or maybe a Word on Snow Leopard problem. I have now tried with trial versions of Papers and Sende, Word's own bibliography, and previously with Endnote, all resulting in spinning beach ball crashes. Switching to an older version to see if that helps.
  • Plenty of people use Word 2008, and plenty of people use Word 2008 on Snow Leopard, so it's not a general problem. But clearly if you're getting crashes with various tools in various apps you have more general problems on your system.
  • edited March 26, 2010
    I have the exact same problem. The crash is consistent. Everytime I try to add a citation in a document, word locks up. Perhaps a communication problem related to the latest update? I have used zotero with word2008 for about a month without any problems. Anyway, I tried reinstalling the word-zotero-plugin, and the problem seems to have disappeared.
  • I have the same problem. I'm using Firefox 3.6 (in French) and Word for Mac 2008 (in French). I just recently updated to Zotero 2.0 and installed the necessary plugins. I have the Zotero menu in Word script, but every time I try and do something to to my footnotes (compiled in Zotero 1 and previously used without any pbs), I get the spinning beach ball and Word (and often Firefox too) crashes. It is extremely frustrating...

I don't have a Java folder in Library so it can't be that.

Can anyone help? It's a big document (my doctoral thesis) and I urgently need to finish off the footnotes and biblio.

Many thanks,
    Katherine
  • edited June 12, 2011
    I have a similar experience. Zotero 2.17, Firefox 3.6.17*, Word 2008 crashes sometimes, after I add or edit citations. This time it waited eight hours of non-use, then spontaneously: down.

I haven't had Word crash otherwise for a couple years. OSX 10.6.7. Mac Mini, 4GB ram.

I do a hard save after every citation. Defensive.

It was worse at first--I'd start compiling endnotes, and then I'd go into word and switch the endnote characters from 'i, ii, iii,' to '1,2,3.' It seemed Zotero didn't like having its numerology messed with. Quick frequent crashes. Once I formatted endnotes to '1,2,3,' in Word before entering any Zotero citations, crashes were less frequent.

Crash message: "Word has encountered a problem and must shut down."

*Firefox 3.6.17 because I tried 4. Retrograde.
  • please don't double post - it makes it incredibly hard to keep track of things. Everything is read.
    Admin - I suggest closing this thread, a more recent one is here:
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/18145/zotero-crashes-word/#Item_6
This discussion has been closed.