Harvard multi citations: change alphabetical to chronological HELP!

Hi

Using all the Harvard styles I have, when I input multiple citations, it orders them in the order they were selected initially (using 'multiple sources'). How do I change the code of the style to show multiple citations chronologically? Can this be done?

C
  • First read this
    http://www.zotero.org/support/csl_simple_edits
    then, add
    <sort>
    <key macro="year-date"/>
    <key macro="author-short"/>
    </sort>
    between
    <option name="disambiguate-add-givenname" value="true"/>
    and
    <layout prefix="(" suffix=")" delimiter="; ">

in the citation section of the style (this for Harvard 1 - more generally speaking, insert it immediately before the <layout... line in the citation section of the style.

For old citations, I believe you will have to open them and maybe check or uncheck the little keep sources sorted box in the plugin for this to take effect. It will work automatically for new citations.
  • Hi

Thanks for your quick response.

I had already gone through the guide and tried using the test pane previously with no luck, and have pasted the code you suggested but it doesn't seem to change the 'multi citations' section in the test pane. The citation section looks like this: is this correct?

<citation>
    <option name="et-al-min" value="3"/>
    <option name="et-al-use-first" value="1"/>
    <option name="et-al-subsequent-min" value="3"/>
    <option name="et-al-subsequent-use-first" value="1"/>
    <option name="disambiguate-add-year-suffix" value="true"/>
    <option name="disambiguate-add-names" value="true"/>
    <option name="disambiguate-add-givenname" value="true"/>
    <sort>
    <key macro="year-date"/>
    <key macro="author-short"/>
    </sort>
    <layout prefix="(" suffix=")" delimiter="; ">
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <group delimiter=" ">
    <text macro="author-short"/>
    <text macro="year-date"/>
    </group>
    <group>
    <label variable="locator" suffix="." form="short"/>
    <text variable="locator"/>
    </group>
    </group>
    </layout>
    </citation>
  • that all looks fine - not sure what's wrong.
    Are the items from the test panel not in chronological order?
  • Hey

I've tried pasting that whole citation section into the different harvard styles and no joy.

By 'test panel' do you mean the zotero test page in Firefox? If so, yep, it's listing multiple citations alphabetically. Bibliography is appearing fine....

When I try that citation block in another style, it does the same thing ie nothing; could something be missing/telling it to order alphabetically?

I'm flummoxed!

C
  • No more help with this then?
  • I got nothing, sorry.
  • I thought that Harvard style citations were always supposed to be chronologically-ordered? In which case, can the style be update so that this is default behaviour?
  • nope -
    http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/harvard_style -
    you could check with the style guide provided in the style - I think Harvard 1 roughly follows Anglia
  • Thanks to some patient feedback from Bruce D'Arcus, the processor in the 2.1.7 release is a good deal smarter about the sorting of citations in author-date styles. Some author-date styles that previously avoided sorting in cs:citation may be able to take advantage of it now.
  • Are there any author-date styles for which sorting is the automatic behaviour?

I could not follow: "For old citations, I believe you will have to open them and maybe check or uncheck the little keep sources sorted box in the plugin for this to take effect. It will work automatically for new citations." for I do not know where to find the check box.
  • the check box is only there if sorting is enabled for in-text citations.
    APA is one example (sorts alphabetically then by date).
  • I followed your instructions in your first post in this thread but there's no save button and the changes are lost.
  • @seans_potato_biz: You should check that you are doing your edits against a CSL 1.0 version of the style. After making changes, be sure to run your revised style through a validator, to be sure it's not broken. For info:

http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles
  • here's the new simple guide
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step
    you need to save the style using a text editor like notepad - detailed instructions are in the link.
  • I have been following this post as I was also looking for a way to change the sorting order of my citations, for a given style. While the guide that adamsmith pointed to looks detailed and well written, it does look like quite a bit of technical work is required to make a relatively small change (having citations sorted alphabetically or chronologically), perhaps more than the average user would know or have the time to do.

It would be awesome if at some point this feature were integrated into Zotero's UI, such that you could simply have an option, under Preferences, for how you want your "within-brackets" citations sorted.

Cheers :)
  • @longtalker - I doubt that is going to happen - there are so many different small changes that users may want that you can't put them all in the insert citation GUI (e.g. - separate page numbers by comma or by colon, use et al after 2,3, or 6 authors, use and or use & between two authors etc.) all of these are individually tiny changes, and while you may regard the order one as most important someone else may see that differently.

The way to go is really to use working and well specified citation styles. There are various Harvard styles that do sort on the repository, so people have a choice.
  • edited July 23, 2013
    Hi Adam,

I find myself faced with the same problem, and having found this thread with your advice from 2 years ago, I searched the repository for a Harvard style that sorts alphabetically. However, searching using the word "sort" only brings out 7 styles, none of which is Harvard.

Also, what appears when you hover the mouse above each style is a sample of Bibliography/References, whereas the sorting that I would like the style to do refers to the sorting of the different sources that are all mentioned as part of a single in-text citation.

So what should I do to have a Harvard style that sorts either alphabetically or chronologically? THanks in advance for your help!
  • First, note that "Harvard" is just a synonym for "author-date". A style doesn't need to be called Harvard to be a Harvard style.
    If you just want any Harvard style sorting in-text citations, Elsevier Harvard and American Psychological Association - both shipped with Zotero - sort in text citations alphabetical.
  • Got it, thanks!!