Youtube videos not auto citing

The little film reel has disappeared from next to any youtube videos I try to cite.

It'd been working fine until now. I upgraded to the new release of Firefox and Zotero today, but Youtube citations were not working prior to that, either.

All other citations [like Amazon] work fine.

Help? =\
  • Please go to http://github.com/ajlyon/zotero-bits/raw/master/YouTube.js and save the file to the translators directory of your Zotero data directory (http://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data).

It should start working again. If this works for you, please post here so that I can submit this change to be pushed to all users.
  • Well done, it works.

Thank you very much. Appreciate the awesome service Zotero provides. Makes my huge papers so much simpler to wrangle with.
  • Is there an Item Type for YouTubes? I do see the item type Web Page and use that, but it's not well tailored to YouTube. Am I missing something? I have saved the youtube.js file as you indicate - not sure really what it does! Thanks for all your help.
  • edited June 1, 2011
    there is a translator for youtube - just like for amazon, the NY Times etc.
    It saves youtube videos as Video Recordings, which is what I'd recommend as an item type.

edit: sorry about that. "Video Recording"
  • @adamsmith - thanks for that. But I'm just not seeing the YouTube Item Type in the drop down menu. Is that where I should expect to see it? I don't see the "little film reel from next to any youtube videos" that ctylersmith mentions either. Thanks for any help you can offer.
  • adamsmith meant "Video Recording".
  • Dan - thanks. Video Recording as an Item Type looks as though its meant for video libraries - VCR stuff, whatever. director, series, volume #... YouTube seems to fit that like square peg/round hole. I think people here are speaking about a specific YouTube item type (not to mention a specific Amazon or NYTimes Item Type). Am I correct?
  • Well, then - we need a YouTube Item Type! :)
  • No, we don't. Item types are generic, not site-specific. If you feel an item type needs additional fields, feel free to suggest them, but you'll need to be specific.
  • Ok, thanks again. I'll suggest some additional fields. BTW - what does ajlyon's YouTube.js translator do? That contains some YouTube-specific fields?
  • YouTube.js is a web translator. It adds an icon to the Firefox address bar when you watch a video on YouTube, and (when you click that icon) allows you to save the information about that video to your library. It creates "Video Recording" items. Translators have no effect on the fields available for item types.
  • Thanks, Rintze!
  • Tried it - that YouTube icon so rocks! Fantastic...