openoffice plugin very slow

2»
  • Thanks for the efforts for speeding things up, Zotero might be very slow with somewhat large documents with many references, even with a rather new and powerful computer (Dell Latitude E4310). Is the problem, as highlighted by michopop, that I run Ubuntu 10.04?
  • In the meantime I tried it on another Ubuntu 10.04 computer and it's not faster (16-20 seconds to insert citation). I also tried it on Windows 7, and it needed 2-3 seconds for each citation. In both cases with Openoffice. So it seems that it is an Ubuntu compatibility problem...
  • There's no difference between the code that runs on Linux and Windows. Except for the installation process, everything is entirely platform independent.
  • I would just like to add that I, too, am experiencing long lags to bring up the citation insertion dialog. At the moment I have no plans to change my configuration as my document is at a crucial place in its creation and I don't want to risk corrupting any of the fields in oo.
  • Me too :-( Opening the dialogue takes up to 5 seconds, inserting a citation around 2 seconds. I'm working with Zotero 2.1.8, Zotero OpenOffice Integration 3.5a1, LibreOffice 3.3.2 and Firefox 4.0.1 on Ubuntu 10.10. Speeding things up would be very helpful.
  • Wow, the new OpenOffice.org Integration (3.5a2) is much, much faster :-) Thank you very much!
  • At last!!!!! Zotero funcions normaly on my Ubuntu 10.04! I did the following:
    1. Uninstalled OpenOffice and installed LibreOffice;
    2. Installed the Integration Trunk (http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/svn_and_trac_access#word_processor_plugins). I had to install the .oxt file manually (I couldn't do it directly from Firefox).
    After that everything functioned excelent! (<1 sec to add/edit a citation or to change a citation style)
  • There's no difference between the Integration Trunk XPI and 3.5a2.
  • To clarify, Simon is saying that at present, the trunk and 3.5a2 are identical. As the linked page describes, the trunk can in general be unstable or untested--- it's just the case that as of now, no changes have been made since 3.5a2 was packaged and released. Maybe that's clear already-- but just in case. Take the warnings about stability re: the trunk seriously, and switch back to stable releases (like 3.5a2) except when specifically asked to try the trunk by Simon or another developer here.
  • Hello,

I have the same issue of a complex document which takes ages to update. The net result is that the screen is constantly scrolling, and it is impossible to write on the document. A bit as if a Parkinsonian friend of yours were trying to help you by holding a piece of paper you'd want to write on.

I use Neo Office 3.1.2 patch 9 with Zotero 3.0b3, Zotero LibreOffice Integration 3.5b3.

What do you recommend trying first?

1) Switching to libreoffice?
    2) Trying the Integration Trunk mentioned above?
    3) Something else?

A workaround would be a way to control when to update the zotero fields. Most users don't print documents often, so it would be acceptable to control the update of the zotero fields. Slow documents updates would only be manually activated when you want to print. Is there a way to de-activate the auto-update of zotero fields?

Any feedback or advice is warmly welcome!
    Best,
    Clément.
  • clement: It's not clear to me that you're describing the same problem as the rest of this thread. Are you referring to the speed of inserting or refreshing citations (which this thread is about), or just editing a document with a lot of citations? If the latter, start a new thread.

In any case, no idea if it would help, but upgrading to the latest version of NeoOffice would be the first thing to try (unless you're still on Tiger)—3.1.2 is outdated. If that doesn't help, try LibreOffice. Zotero 3.0rc1 is also out.
  • Dan,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I was vague indeed. Let me be more specific.

The problem occurs when I save the document. The subsequent refreshing of the document takes about 4 minutes, during which I can't edit the document.

Let me know if this deserves a new thread.
    Best,
    Clément.
    P.S.: thanks for your upgrade tips.