Zotero Item History [plugin]

• Your repo is currently a private one.
  • So that's what that little lock icon means. :)

Thanks for catching that. It should be public now.
  • Hi Frank,

I tried to install on Mac with ff 3.6 and zotero 2.1.6. Result: plugin is installed but when I reopen ff, I cannot see the buttons, no trace of the plugin, and the following in error reports:

[JavaScript Error: "Components.classes['@mystery-lab/ZoteroItemHistoryService;1'] is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotero-item-history/content/main.js" line: 27}]

but thanks for a potentially nice plugin!
  • Try now. There was likely a problem acquiring the correct pathname on Windows machines and the Mac.
  • Any chance to have your plugin work in FF 5.0beta? The installing process doesn't produce any errors, but I end up with no visible signs of the plugin in the UI, despite Add-on comp. reporter installed. (I'm on OS 10.6.7, using Zotero 2.1.6, FF 5.0beta). Thanks.
  • I've relaxed the version restriction, and smartened up detection of the FF version. It should work now.
  • edited June 1, 2011
    Thanks for your plugin – appreciate your work and the useful addition in being able to trace my own tracks around collections. Your v.03 works fine with FF 4.01 and the current stable version of Zotero. Attempts to use it with FF 5beta were less successful, (straight error message in dialog-box at startup); likewise unsuccessful to run it with Zotero's 2.1 trunk, both with FF4.01 and FF5b: (screenshots). The icons were loading but the whole icon bar was displaced to the left and my data, tags and part of the UI was gone. (All other Add-ons were disabled when doing this). Console mentions a few of those:

TypeError: Components.classes['@mozilla.org/extensions/manager;1'] is undefined
    2011.06.01 08:54:12 [0x0-0x2fc2fc].org.mozilla.firefox[3677]
    2011.06.01 08:57:47 [0x0-0x2ff2ff].org.mozilla.firefox[3702]
    Rolled back to FF4 and 2.1.6 for the benefit of 'Item History' for the time being. Thanks, Kithairon
  • edited June 1, 2011
    I've just pushed a fresh version (0.4), with support for temporarily "anchoring" browsing history to a particular collection, saved search or group.

On both the startup problems with FF5, and the problems with the 2.1 branch XPI, all combinations run without any problem here (on Linux, Ubuntu 10.x only, but against the multilingual branch, the trunk and 2.1.6). I'm not sure I can help.

The 0.4 version will at least log the appInfo string (used to identify the FF version), which is relevant to the test that seems to be failing in at least some of your trials (judging from the console log you've posted above). If that doesn't lead to an answer, people familiar with Mac and Windows platforms should probably take a look. I had a struggle to get the moving parts of Zotero and the plugin to work together smoothly, but the finished code is not very complex, and there isn't much of it.
  • Nice. Anchoring a collection seems useful. Tried running v.04 independently with FF5 and the last 2.1 trunk build. Nothing much has changed in regard to what I wrote in my last post, though the second screenshot in that post (blank library, displaced items, no tags and right panel) seems due to the trunk build rather than your plug-in (See here).

If I run 0.4 with FF5 I get an error on startup. Here the console output – maybe useful for knowledgeable Mac-folk:

2011.06.01 17:25:40 firefox-bin[5957] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x11f0af9a0 of class NSCFDictionary autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
    2011.06.01 17:25:40 [0x0-0x3c83c8].org.mozilla.firefox[5957] TypeError: Components.classes['@mozilla.org/extensions/manager;1'] is undefined
    2011.06.01 17:25:40 [0x0-0x3c83c8].org.mozilla.firefox[5957] TypeError: Components.classes['@mozilla.org/extensions/manager;1'] is undefined
  • (it may work with 3.6, I'm not sure),
    I can install it to with firefox 3.6.17 (and zotero 2.1.6r9354, win 7) but nothing happens.
  • Item History now works fine with FF 4.01 (Mac) and the very latest 2.1 trunk build (r9406).
  • @kithairon: Yes. The only way that error can come out of the plugin is if it misparses the version string, which it pulls out of appInfo at startup (see the file history.js in the source). It should be logging that string (search for ZoteroItemHistory or appInfo).
  • Have put up a version 0.5. The only new thing is to disable the global context menu operations when trash is selected. I don't contemplate any further features (although forks and spinoffs are certainly welcome).
  • Clicked around a little on a colleague's Windows machine with FF 3.6.17 this afternoon, and got the same failure as Gracile maybe. The error is actually thrown by Zotero itself, not the plugin code. Comparing what I've ended up doing in the loader with the original Zotero code, I think I see what the problem is. The plugin calls Zotero to build the database, but depending on the luck of the draw, it may call Z before it has loaded in which case, well, the story has an unhappy ending.

I should be able to push all of that code a little further down the boot chain, which might work a little better. Should happen this evening or sometime tomorrow.
  • I've put up a fresh copy (version 0.6) that postpones the call to Zotero to a point where it might work a bit better on various systems. I haven't tested under FF 3.6 yet, but it's worth a try.
  • I haven't tested under FF 3.6 yet, but it's worth a try.
    Nothing happens with FF 3.6. and ZiH 0.6.
  • edited June 3, 2011
    Spent a little time with Firefox 3.6.17 on a Windows 7 machine, but no joy. It's an unfamiliar platform and I'll have to leave the debugging to others, unfortunately. The source code is available online, and I'll be happy to answer questions, and to grant write privileges to anyone interested in sprucing this up to run on platforms to which it is currently allergic.
  • Hi,
    tried again, now both with zotero 2.1.6 and 2.1.7 and your latest version. Still does not work. again mac OSX 10.5.5 and ff 3.6. But this time no errors that relate to the plugin
    best
    Michael
  • edited June 5, 2011
    (Just to be clear in case of possible misunderstanding, the fate of this plugin in environments other than my own will depend on the debugging efforts of other contributors.)
  • Hi,
    certainly I do not expect you to provide a perfect plugin. But I do not have the technical ability to do the debugging, and I just wanted to provide feedback my attempt to make it work.
  • Absolutely; and your feedback is very welcome! It's just that I didnt want to leave potential contributors listening in with the impression that I'm itching to take on support for other platforms myself.
  • Works well on OS X and Firefox 4. At this point I have a couple of suggestions:
    -The buttons could use tool tips
    -On OS X, the style of the buttons is different from the style of the other Zotero buttons.
    -When I use a translator to create a new item, I expected it to apear in the history list, but it does not.

In all, I think that I will find this quite useful in the long run.
  • Great plugin: thanks Frank (I updated FF to make it work).

I didn't find "help" or guidelines. I searched them in the firefox add-ons manager. But guidelines are in the "about" tab: strange.
    The "but if you're reading this, you already know that" message was not true for me: I wouldn't have thought to right-click on the house (no zotero button have right-click options).

In the house right-click menu, what's the role of the "anchor to this collection" option?
  • Glad to hear it works! I'll look into hooking up the missing links in the add-ons manager, and straightening out the help text.

The anchor mode locks onto the current history list. Ordinarily, clicking on a collection in the left panel will open the history list for that collection. The anchor mode allows you to trawil around various collections in the library, and capture your browsing in the history list for a single collection.
  • edited July 19, 2011
    Neat plugin, thanks for developing this. Agree on buttons needing tooltips. Without an obviously linked documentation or help file it's important to get a quick idea of what the buttons do.

/edit: ah, About text is found by right-clicking the house+arrow icon. Still, tooltips 'd nice.

Any particular reason you use up and down buttons rather than left and right? (Perhaps to avoid confusion with the neighbouring button?) Up and down is rather idiosyncratic for this; there's a very strong left/right metaphor for back/forward in UIs across different operating systems, and one would have to have very good reasons to deviate from that.

How about the Silk icons"resultset_previous.png" and "resultset_next.png"? Maybe in green instead of light blue for visual harmony? Or perhaps the more low-key, grey "bullet_arrow_down.png" and "bullet_arrow_up.png", turned 90 degrees. (I could turn them for you.)
  • edited July 26, 2011
    Hey Frank, just want to know whether you saw my proposal. No rush though.
  • edited July 26, 2011
    I did some work on it yesterday. Arrows have been duly rotated, an tooltip rollovers implemented (in local build). While I'm at it, I decided to set up auto-updating. Once that's working, I'll post an announcement.
  • Cool, thanks! (I do hope, for aesthetic reasons, that you've picked one of the arrow pairs I suggested. I find the current arrows somewhat spartan and unsophisticated, even if turned. The proportions aren't right.)
  • I find the current arrows somewhat spartan and unsophisticated, even if turned.
    Well, we don't want that, no siree, you bet!
  • The update is now online, you can install from the usual XPI link. Auto-updating is not working yet, there's a problem with the signature. It will be sorted out in due course, but for now I'll post back here about any updates.