Creating an html bibliography -- zotero not generating coins metadata

Hello all, I think I'm saying this correctly. I am generating separate html bibliographies (by format -- i.e. audio recordings, books etc) from a zotero group library.

When I generate the bib for the books/articles format, I get correct coins metadata (?) embedded in the bib. Example:

<body>
<div class="csl-bib-body" style="line-height: 1.35; padding-left: 2em; text-indent:-2em;">
<div class="csl-entry">Brothers, Thomas. <i>Louis Armstrong’s New Orleans</i>. W.W. Norton & Co., 2007.</div>
<span class="Z3988" title="url_ver=Z39.88-2004&ctx_ver=Z39.88-2004&rfr_id=info%3Asid%2Fzotero.org%3A2&rft_id=urn%3Aisbn%3A039333001X&rft_val_fmt=info%3Aofi%2Ffmt%3Akev%3Amtx%3Abook&rft.genre=book&rft.btitle=Louis%20Armstrong's%20New%20Orleans&rft.publisher=W.W.%20Norton%20%26%20Co.&rft.aufirst=Thomas&rft.aulast=Brothers&rft.au=Thomas%20Brothers&rft.date=2007-04-17&rft.isbn=039333001X"/>
</div></body>

When I generate an html bib from the audio cds (or films or videos) I get this instead:
<body>
<div class="csl-bib-body" style="line-height: 1.35; padding-left: 2em; text-indent:-2em;">
<div class="csl-entry">Jubilee, D. J. <i>Bouncin All Over The World</i>. Audio CD. Take Fo, 1999.</div>
</div></body>

And of course for the second record, no zotero icon shows up in the address bar.

Can anyone explain why this would happen? Both records were downloaded into Zotero from the amazon website.

Thanks!
  • edited May 26, 2011
    The COinS format uses the OpenURL types-- and there is no matching type for films or videos.‌ The type list is here: http://alcme.oclc.org/openurl/servlet/OAIHandler?verb=ListRecords&metadataPrefix=oai_dc&set=Core:Metadata+Formats

Hopefully, Zotero will soon move to a more flexible method of embedding such metadata, likely RDFa using Bibliontology.
  • Wow that's good to know. Thanks for explaining this mystery to me!
  • One more question then -- so why are these item types save-able via zotero in Amazon or library catalogs?
  • because those don't use COinS - for most library catalogues Zotero has translators that point it to linked or embedded MARC data (which is very rich and detailed), for Amazon Zotero has a dedicated translator that translates whatever data Amazon supplies (which I actually think is pretty well structured, but I don't know in which form).
    This has lots of details:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/exposing_metadata
  • OK, great! Thanks for helping me understand.
  • hi there,

so i'm noticing that it's now possible to grab items (little folder or icon appears in address bar) that aren't OpenURL types via the online Zotero library (example: https://www.zotero.org/groups/new_orleans_studies_uno/items/collectionKey/RAC77GAC/itemKey/9PRQC9NP/itemPage/2).

but if i grab it, then generate an HTML bibliography and open the bib, it's still the same deal as before -- no COinS.

would it be an easy change to make it so that the HTML bibliographies now output whatever COinS-esque thing you got going on in the web version? because this would really help us. beyond films, it doesn't even look like OpenURL supports newspaper articles which is a bummer.

thanks!
  • Zotero has a zotero.org has a dedicated translator that uses csl-JSON (I believe - it certainly has nothing to do with COinS) - Zotero can't do anything with that information without the translator (nor can any other program). nothing has changed wrt COinS and its limits