Status on Future?

Hello,

Zotero, looks amazing, and I am quite impressed by everything that it does. I am ready to start spreading the word to my non-techie friends about what a great tool it is, but I know that their tolerance for switching to new things is not quite as high as mine.

Anyway, I wanted to make sure you folks see an ongoing future for your work. As I browse through your web site, I see references from Jan, 2007 about 1.1 and 1.5 being out in a few months. I see comments about 2.0 being out in 2008 (it's Feb 2008) now.

You have delivered such a solid product that these future dates don't really matter. I can see how much work is in the product now, and I can imagine how the march towards 1.0 took a lot of time. If the story is simply that it takes some time to do things right, then I'm comfortable about your future and comfortable about bringing in my techno-phobic friends. Please don't see this as criticism of your excellent work.

If however, things are slowing down because of dwindling funding and resources the story is a bit different. I did see your announcement with the internet archive, and that gives me hope.

So for the bottom line, how comfortable are you that there will still be a zotero extension and web site in one month, six months, a year? I guess the lack of an updated roadmap is what makes me nervous. Its not that I am clamoring for a bunch of extra features -- I'm just looking for some indication that I can count on the product into the future.

I am sorry if this sounds harsh. I am only asking because I am quite impressed and excited by your product, and the amazing amount of work that you have delivered. Therefore, I would like to share my excitement with more potential users.

Thanks
  • Hi emellaich,

Thanks for your appreciation of the project, and also for your concerns. I can assure you that we are just getting started, that we are financially on sound footing, and that we will be around for a long, long time. The Center for History and New Media, where the project is headquartered, has been around since 1994, and has managed similar projects for well over a decade.

Although the 2.0 features have been delayed a bit, you're absolutely correct that it's simply because we want to do it right--as evidenced by all of the extra effort that went into 1.0 over the last year, including dozens of new features requested by our passionate users that were never in our original plan.

Dan
    (Co-Chief Zoteron and Director of CHNM)
  • Thank you for your swift response. I do appreciate all of your work.

Michael