Deleting files from library doesn't free up online storage...

Hello, I noticed that my online quota was growing despite I'm not using the online storage option for PFDs (I'm rather using the "attach link to file" option, so I have everything on my hard disk).

Then I tried this: I attached a PDF by using "attach stored copy of file", the sync has started and uploaded it to my online storage, the quota size increases.
OK, then I deleted the file from my library, but the attachment is always showed in my online library and I'm not able to figure out how to delete the pdf!

Is it a bug or I make something wrong?
Thank you in advance
  • Have you emptied your Zotero trash (which is synced as well until you empty it)? It should be the last item in the collections list on the left, right click it to empty.
  • You are right, it works :) the confusing thing is that there is not Trash displayed in the online library.
    Thank you very much. I hope this topic will help other users too. I read that the storage space issue is quite common.
  • I deleted all the pdfs attached in the library, and I left only the links to pdfs on my hard disk.
    However, my online storage is still quite big (60mb). I checked in the zotero folder and I found that the .sqlite file is just 3mb, the storage folder is few KBs, and the whole zotero folder is only 7,2 MB.

Then I have, inside the zotero folder, a personal folder created by me where I put all the PDFs downloaded manually, and then I link them to the reference in the zotero library. But these stuffs are not uploaded online...so why is the storage size online so big?
  • 1) You shouldn't be storing things in personal folders in the Zotero data directory. It's unlikely that it would interfere with anything, but the Zotero data directory is for use by Zotero itself.

2) How did you delete them? Just from disk, or in Zotero? Deleting files on disk won't do anything to the server versions. You have 148 attachment items on the Zotero server still associated with files.
  • 1) Ok I moved the folder outside the zotero folder; is it possible to change the path for all the links without doing it manually for every single reference? Because now links don't work.

2) I deleted all the .pdf attachments (with the pdf coloured icon) from the library in zotero, and then empty the trash. I checked and I have not a single PDFs attached to the references, I have only links to pdfs on my computers (which are not stored on zotero servers).
    I think the 148 attachments are the automatic snapshots that zotero creates when I add a reference, is it right? But they should't account for 60mb I suppose...
  • is it possible to change the path for all the links without doing it manually for every single reference?
    Not currently.

You can leave it there until there's a way to bulk-edit link paths, as it's unlikely to cause trouble. I'm just pointing out that it's not a recommended practice.
    I think the 148 attachments are the automatic snapshots that zotero creates when I add a reference, is it right? But they should't account for 60mb I suppose...
    Yes, those attachments are HTML snapshots. With all of their graphics and other files (including advertising files), 148 snapshots can easily reach 60MB. If you want, you can delete extraneous files and update the modification times on the main HTML files, and Zotero will reupload them.
  • I think the 148 attachments are the automatic snapshots that zotero creates when I add a reference, is it right?
    You may already be aware of this, but if you don't use them you can turn automatic snapshots off in the general pane of Zotero preferences - uncheck the box marked "automatically take snapshots...". I personally find them superfluous when I have the PDF, and generate them manually on the rare occasion that I need them.
  • Thank you, I'll delete the snapshots so I'll free some space, plus I de-activated the automatic creation of snapshots which, I agree, are not that useful ;)
    A bulk-edit option should be really implemented...especially for a long-term usage. People can often change operative systems, computers, they format, etc...

I'd have another question: I remember that some versions ago, when I linked a pdf to a reference in the library, then selected "rename file from parent metadata", the pdf file changed its filename too. while now only the name in the library changes, and the filename stays the same. Is it a bug?

It's quite annoying because pdfs downloaded have always titles like "fulltext.pdf" and they must be renamed manually.
    Thanks
  • Works fine for me. If it doesn't work for you, provide a Debug ID for the rename attempt and a Report ID.