"A sync process is already running" after suspending laptop

Hi there,

This has been happening consistently since I upgraded to firefox 4.0 and zotero 2.1 (which I did around the same time). I have two Ubuntu 10.04 laptops syncing their databases, but not their storage (I do this with Dropbox), and one is almost always suspended when the other one is on. Each time I wake them up from suspend I get an orange exclamation icon that reports:

"A sync process is already running. To view progress, check the window in which the sync began or restart Firefox."

Restarting Firefox solves the issue, so its not really a major problem just an annoyance, but I hate being annoyed. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jem
  • Eek, I have just realised that I can't sync the laptop that is with me at all, even after rebooting. I get the "A sync process is already running" message as soon as I load firefox. I'm not sure if this is related to the above report?
  • You get this if you reboot your computer and start a single Firefox window?

Do you have auto-sync enabled? Are you using pane mode or tab mode? Have you tried disabling other Firefox extensions?

Also, provide a Report ID and a Debug ID for the sync attempt (the latter using the "Enable after restart" option).
  • Ah, I had a second Firefox window with a Zotero pane open minimised. When I closed and opened Firefox (which I did several times, including rebooting) it remembered its minimised state, and I had not noticed it. Closing the second pane and restarting Firefox meant the sync went through. Does this mean that having a second Zotero pane open blocks syncing? (mine hadn't synced for a week)

I assume that Report/Debug IDs aren't useful now. If I can replicate the original situation that I reported I will post them here.
  • Does this mean that having a second Zotero pane open blocks syncing?
    Only if something goes wrong that prevents the sync from terminating. That shouldn't ever happen, but there are some rare situations—including a Firefox bug—that can cause it to.