ID: 1022897888, Problem when starting Zotero & Firefox

I'm getting the following error message when starting Firefox & Zotero. I have no clue why it started giving this error.

Unexpected status code 403 in Zotero.Sync.Storage.WebDAV_getStorageModificationTime()

Any pointers?

Thanks!
Francis

Here is the full error text (updated ID number "2006380060"):
[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Unexpected status code 403 in Zotero.Sync.Storage.WebDAV_getStorageModificationTime()' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]

[JavaScript Error: "Unexpected status code 403 in Zotero.Sync.Storage.WebDAV_getStorageModificationTime()" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 872}]

[JavaScript Error: "Unexpected status code 403 in Zotero.Sync.Storage.WebDAV_getStorageModificationTime()" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 872}]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Unexpected status code 403 in Zotero.Sync.Storage.WebDAV_getStorageModificationTime()' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]
  • Argh. I think the problem was a username/password error on the server, however now it's always reporting a username/password error when I try to log in in Zotero, but the same username/password let me log in with the browser interface to the same site.

I believe the problem is that the site now forces me to use extra punctuation marks in my password (which are not url-compliant). Will this cause WebDAV http authentication to fail?

Thanks again,
    Francis
  • I don't believe punctuation marks should cause a problem, though I haven't tested this recently.
  • edited March 7, 2011
    i am also having trouble with username and password. i am in zotero but it tells me the sync server not working and to check preferences. when i check preferences, nothing happens error report: 971547617
  • No, it doesn't tell you that—it tells you to check your username and password in the Sync pane of the Zotero prefs. That's what you need to do.
  • Hi Dan,

Just as followup, I found out that arbitrary punctuation in a password does break the WebDAV login. For me, this means that the University of Michigan password requirements prevent the WebDAV service (that they offer) from working.

Thanks again for your help,
    Francis