"there was an error starting Zotero"

Hi,

I can't run Zotero standalone Alpha on Windows 7. After extracting the zip file, running zotero.exe exits with a simple "There was an error starting Zotero.".

Any help much appreciated,

Ron
  • I've got exactly the same problem, but on Win XP
  • We'll add an error reporting button to that dialog, but in the meantime, you can start zotero.exe from Start->Run with the -jsconsole flag to see the error in question. Clicking on an error row and pressing Ctrl-C will then copy it to the clipboard for you to paste here.
  • Ok, here's the full error console output from a single run.

Kind regards,

Ron

=======

Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520001 (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH) [nsIFile.append]" nsresult: "0x80520001 (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/zotero.js :: getDefaultProfile :: line 696" data: no]
    Source File: file:///C:/Users/ron.KANTL/Desktop/Zotero_win32/components/zotero-service.js
    Line: 182

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE) [nsIJSCID.getService]" nsresult: "0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/include.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 4" data: no]

Error: Zotero is undefined
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/browser.js
    Line: 824

Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520001 (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH) [nsIFile.append]" nsresult: "0x80520001 (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/zotero.js :: getDefaultProfile :: line 696" data: no]
    Source File: file:///C:/Users/ron.KANTL/Desktop/Zotero_win32/components/zotero-service.js

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE) [nsIJSCID.getService]" nsresult: "0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/include.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 4" data: no]

Warning: Selector expected. Ruleset ignored due to bad selector.
    Source File: chrome://zotero-platform/content/itembox.css
    Line: 12

Source File: chrome://zotero/content/bindings/styled-textbox.xml
    Line: 119

Source File: chrome://zotero-openoffice-integration/content/overlay.xul
    Line: 8

Source File: chrome://zotero-openoffice-integration/content/overlay.xul
    Line: 8
  • Problem Solved:

I had this problem too, tried everything (no answer on my post of 4/9).

Anyway, i had the exact same errors when I ran the -jsconsole, that certain files weren't being found. Viola, I have custom directories for my firefox profiles and my different zotero libraries. When I created a firefox profile in default folder, added zotero extension with default library location, then standalone had no problem.
  • Ah, that could explain. I also have relocated my FF profiles, but would like to keep them there... If this is the cause, detecting the right location would ideally be tackled by the standalone Zotero program.

Thanks for the hint; maybe worth a bug report (if I have the time).