Danish translation of Zotero client

I would like to help translate the Zotero client, Mac + Windows, to danish. It seems that some strings have been translated but not all. What can I do to help?

Kind Regards
Klaus Brinch
  • Super - i'll get right on it
  • edited April 8, 2011
    I have translated the danish language file for CSL. It is now complete.

https://www.strongspace.com/hafnius/public/dev/citation-style-language-locales-2b7aa27/locales-da-DK.xml

I have been carefull in getting it right, cross-referenced it with the norwegian trans. since norwegian is close to danish.

Kind regards
    Klaus Brinch
  • Any particular reason you didn't add periods to the month abbreviations?
  • No - it was an error on my part. Its been corected now and uploaded again. Thanks
  • Thanks, committed: https://github.com/citation-style-language/locales/commit/5d003e9ba7cce7b9960eb1ff04c31ce2d2b8a94d

I only removed the period for the short form of "Maj".
  • So i started translating the files for the zotero client and the work is well under way.

There are some terms that i am strugling with though and that will require some extra work. Those terms are:

1. Resolver
    2. Child node/link
    3. Style (ie. citation style)
    4. Lbrary (ie. group library)

I know what all the terms mean in the Zotero context but i have a hard time finding the right danish equivalent. What i have so far for the danish inclined:

1. Resolver = udbyder, men det passer ikke helt
    2. Child node/link = barn, men det funker ikke. Drupal bruger begrebet meget, så kigger der.
    3. Styles = citat stil, føles heller ikke helt rigtig. måske refworks på dansk kan hjælpe.
    4. Library = bibliotek, men måske samling ville være bedre

I welcome any suggestions from my fellow danes (danskere)

I will update this thread when i have more
  • Hej, looks good, Hafnius.

Is there are way one can help translate the Danish used in Zotero itself? As of now, the Danish version suffers from numerous typos.
  • I have joined the translation team for translating the Zotero resources into Danish. I have translated most of zotero.properties (with some help from a fellow Dane) using Transifex.
    I have then downloaded the translated file (for use) and renamed it zotero.properties. Then added it to zotero.jar using WinZip.
    I have installed both the Mozilla Add-in and the Standalone version.
    When I access Zotero via Mozilla nothing is changed. All the bad translations are still there. And the system is still working. When I use Standalone some things have changed (the types and labels for the references), but nothing else is working. I can't access the library nor enter new items. At one point earlier on I could enter new items, and they appeared in the Mozilla version but not in Standalone.

How do I test my translation???

And will it work when users update Zotero?

Yours NEWille
  • By the way: locales-da-DK.xml needs further revision. The version provided by Hafnius was a big step forward, but it has some deviations from Danish reference standards.

I will provide a revised version when the problems mentioned abover have been solved.

Yours NEWille
  • thanks. The new translations from transifex get included into every Zotero version update - it's really not necessary for you to rebuild your zotero.jar to test this.
  • Actually I need to test the results of the translation before any "innocent" users have to use the new version. That is the professional translator's way.

The problem is that I do not always know where the text will prop up in Zotero and what the specific context for the wording will be. I have already had to change translation several times in a very slow analysing and guessing proces. Implementing and checking the results would speed up things considerably.

The present version shipped with Zotero is bad enough. I do not want confuse users in the same way because of forced ignorance.

Yours NEWille
  • Concerning locales-da-DK.xml

Where do I submit a new translation of that?

Yours NEWille
  • Here. Just create a gist at gist.github.com and post the URL.
  • I think you can paste it here. Choose "xml" as a language and put the link here.
  • edited March 24, 2012
    How do I test my translation???
    The easiest way is described at the bottom of this page, under the heading "Longer-term Development". Edit: direct link.
  • Thanks for pointing the way to a simpler and more effective way of testing the translation. Unpacking the zotero.jar file and changing the chrome.manifest did the trick.

It turned out that the problem was with the files downloaded from TransiFex "for use" or "for translation". I don't know why, but not very intuitive nor practical. So I had to disregard them.

I recreated my translations using the file zotero.properties provided with the latest version of Zotero (the one with all the awful translations, mistakes and misspellings). That way I identified (as I expected) many mistakes made by me and the previous translator(s) in guessing the functions and meanings of the terms.

When I have tested and revised the translation I will have to go back and revise the TransiFex version so to speak "by hand". Or is there another way?

NEWille

PS I haven't tried the gist way yet for the xml file. But it will probably add to my experiences as a Zotero-localizer.
  • On TransiFex, download "for use".
    When I have tested and revised the translation I will have to go back and revise the TransiFex version so to speak "by hand". Or is there another way?
    Yes.
    PS I haven't tried the gist way yet for the xml file. But it will probably add to my experiences as a Zotero-localizer.
    Gist is really really easy: you've just to copy&paste.
  • I am afraid that answering "Yes" to my question does not enlighten me.

My two translations are now "out of synch", so just uploading my local version of the file to TransiFex will probably overwrite those translated parts on the server which I have not bothered to reproduce in the local version (since they did not need to be tested). And that would really be a waste of the time spent on those parts by me and my co-translater.

And downloading the whole file "for translation" did not seem to work as as I have already explained, since I couldn't test it. So revising and uploading it does not seem practical. And the work will anyway be the same as transferring my revisions "by hand" to TransiFex.

But what I really want to know is how to do it the next time I want to test a translated file?
  • I just don't think there is a good way to test and sync translations - that's what Gracile's "yes" means.
    It is not expected that translators compile a new version of Zotero to test their translations, and transifex isn't set-up for that, so there is not good way to test or to sync your tested files back onto transifex.

Zotero has a relatively quick update cycle, so if something really comes out badly, you can fix it after the next release, that's how all the other teams have worked and I think it's been going fine.
    Thanks for all your work on that, btw.
  • And downloading the whole file "for translation" did not seem to work as as I have already explained, since I couldn't test it.
    If you've unpacked the zotero.jar file and changed the chrome.manifest as you wrote it above, you just have to replace your locales files by those from transifex "for translation". Add your translations (locally), test them and upload the completed files on transifex ("Upload file"). That's not my workflow but this should work (?).
  • Sorry to be such a pest. But I wanted to be sure that the Danish translation works well before I can recommend Zotero wholeheartedly to my students an colleagues. The present version shipped with Zotero is just not good enough.

When I tried to test the translated files by unzipping and rezipping zotero.jar the system just froze in the middle of loading the Library. I do not know why - but that was seemingly not the way to go about it. It happened every time with renwed attempts. And if that was caused by something in the translated file and included in the next update, the result would be bad for Zotero.

I then implemented the procedure recommended by Gracile and it worked as I have described earlier. But I didn't use downloaded files from TransiFex, since it looked like they were the cause of the trouble.

This morning I downloaded the file "for translation" and renamed it. Then added it to the unpacked zotero.jar in the proper place. And this time it worked well.

So the workflow described by Gracile should work (!).

Now I am all set to finish the work. But it would be a blessing for translators if somebody could produce something to explain which fields go where in the bibliographic descriptions and what they are supposed to represent. The Glossary in TransiFex would be a handy place.

Yours NEWille
  • I suspect you did not rezip zotero.jar correctly (you've to zip the files *without* compression). Anyway, it's very unlikely that the Transifex files caused the error.
    But it would be a blessing for translators if somebody could produce something to explain which fields go where in the bibliographic descriptions and what they are supposed to represent. The Glossary in TransiFex would be a handy place.
    As you can imagine, this is very time-consuming. You can use the glossary but AFAIR it is not shared between languages (the German team uses it).
    If you want to have more context for your translation (and can speak other languages) you can view more than one source language to translate from by choosing extra options from the “More Languages” drop-down.
  • No, I didn't use compression when re-zipping. And of course the TransiFex-files weren't the cause. But at the time I couldn't know that. I still haven't figured out what went wrong, but in practice I am past the point where it really matters.

As for using the glossary for explanations, I think it would be enough to have the explanations in the English version, since the terminology used in the default system obviously is English (en-US?). I don't want to inherit interpretation mistakes made by other translators.

But as you say - very time-consuming - but also very useful for the translators.
  • Unzipping and rezipping the zotero.jar file is possible with the right method of rezipping, but that extra work is not necessary. Gracile provided a link to instructions for running Zotero from unzipped source files. If you plan to confirm translations in the running software before release as a regular practice, you should take the time to set that up; it will save you a lot of time and frustration in the long run.
  • edited March 26, 2012
    @fbennett: That's what NEWille did eventually.
  • Ah, oops, missed that, sorry.
  • Please!

How did the ***SPAM*** above get into this Forum?

And How do we get rid of it?

Yours NEWille
  • @NEWille: this spammer has been banned. To report abuse, you've to go to www.zotero.org/username_in_lowercase (eg: newille and not NEWille) and click "Report abuse".