suddenly I can't sync

The syncing suddenly stopped -- with error 601740858 and the message:

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Cannot make changes to library (Report ID: 29e65994)' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Group with libraryID 170552 does not exist in Zotero.Groups.getGroupIDFromLibraryID()' when calling method: [nsITimerCallback::notify]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]

[JavaScript Error: "Cannot make changes to library (Report ID: 29e65994)" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 870}]

Any idea what any of that means?
  • Zotero should be displaying a dialog box telling you what the problem is—i.e., that you've lost write access to library and need to reset the group. Is it not?
  • Hi Dan, thanks for getting back. No, no such information. Why did this happen and how can I reset the group? But is also affects my own library -- can that be reset as well?

Thanks for all suggestions!
  • Can you restart Firefox and provide a Debug ID for a sync attempt that produces this error?
  • Hi Dan, sorry it took a bit of time (had to sleep, I'm in a different time zone). Here it is: D2112833022. Hope it helps!
  • If you just click the sync icon and perform a manual sync, you don't see a dialog box saying you've lost write access to the group?

If not, this may be a Standalone issue that needs to be fixed, in which case you can perform the sync with Zotero for Firefox.
  • No Dan, no dialog about having lost write access. I'm the owner of this group, I should be able to write to it. Here is another debug output: D1613067671. Hope it helps.

SA is not involved (I've installed it but I'm not using it now)

What's the best way to fix this? Could I for example create a new FF profile and resync, then delete the one that's giving me trouble?
  • You're the same user as snurk, I take it?

The first error report in this thread was from Zotero Standalone, but it looks like that wasn't the issue anyway—you're getting an error that's preventing the dialog from appearing.

This particular error shouldn't be possible, though. Have you made manual changes to your database via SQLite? When did this error start?
  • Sorry Dan, i am indeed. I've registered another account to try to sort this out. No, no manual changes. The only thing I can think of is that I deleted a couple of group libraries online. After that syncing broke down. I haven't been able to sync for three days now.

What about starting a new FF profile and syncing down to it?
  • edited April 23, 2011
    There's no need for a new profile—if you don't need your recent local changes you could just do a Restore from Zotero Server from the Sync->Reset pane of the Zotero preferences in your current profile. I'm still not sure how this would've happened without manual changes to the database or a corrupt database. (Try checking your database integrity from the Advanced pane of the Zotero preferences.)

If you're comfortable opening your database in an SQLite client (with Firefox closed), the following command should fix this:

DELETE FROM syncDeleteLog WHERE libraryID NOT IN (SELECT libraryID FROM libraries);

If you try this, make a backup of your database first, obviously.
  • Hi Dan, very helpful, thanks. Can I do this with MySQLadministrator? I'm fairly comfortable with that. I checked the integrity too and there didn't seem to be a problem.
  • No. You need an SQLite client, not a MySQL client.
  • OK, thanks. I'll look for something. Much obliged.
  • Hi again, I reset Zotero in the end and re-synced from the server. Now everything seems OK. It seems the database indeed was corrupted somehow. Several SQlite editors refused to read it. Two things I can think of: 1) I have a lot of Chinese characters in some entries; 2) I shared the database with a SA version. I didn't do any manual changes though.

Thanks!
  • Chinese characters in UTF-8, at least, shouldn't cause any problems with the DB.
  • hmmm ... maybe the SA mucked things up somehow. I'd better stay away from that until the beta release ...
  • The integrity check in the Advanced pane of the Zotero preferences tells you if the database itself is corrupt. If other clients didn't read it, it was likely due to an SQLite version incompatibility (or because the database was open).

But data-wise, your database was definitely in a state it shouldn't have been in.