Eliminating "A" or "The" in titles in only the middle section, not the third

When I add a title from the Library of Congress to the info section (third section), the middle section alphabetizes the title by the entire title including the first word of the title. Thus, I end up with a long list of titles in the middle section that begin with the word "The." To fix that problems, I can simply delete the article (A, An, The, etc.) from the title in the third column.
My Question:
1. will that change eliminate that article (A, An, The, etc.) when I use the citation in a bibliography?
2. If so, is there a way that I can eliminate the article for the purpose of alphabetically ordering the references in the alphabetical list of titles (in the middle section) but also retain the article in the "info" (third) section
  • I have the same problem & it is really annoying. I am adding records from my library's catalog & it is doing the same thing.
  • edited February 1, 2008
    It would be great if Zotero ignored articles when sorting titles--this needs to happen in CSL styles as well as in the middle column. This can't be fixed until Firefox 3 comes out, however.
  • Firefox 3 has been out for a while. Is there any progress on this issue?
  • I doubt it; it's not straight-forward to fix. Right now, I'm pretty sure the sorting is done by the database, which is generally going to be very fast. To add this support, you need to move it to javascript, which will slow things down. You also need to localize it, since articles vary by language.

So it's a bit of work to implement correctly, and has costs.

But Dan might have something more useful/encouraging to say.