All tricks tried - but zotero does NOT index PDFs

Hi

I have allready

read the forums on this topic AND
have deleted the pdftotext and pdfinfo (Version 3.02) fromt the Zotero directory
reopende Firefox Version 3.6. 16 under Windows VISTA Home
reinstalled pdftotext and pdfinfo via the pref tab

- but the problem still insists: NONE of my PDF files get indexed. If I try to index them,a message appears twice, Saying "Wrong Parameter" plus a path. It allways appears twice. As indexing pdf files is of great importance to me, please check this problem.

Please see the error log beyond.

Best Regards,
Hans Michalec
(5)(+0000000): Beginning DB transaction

(3)(+0000000): Beginning Notifier event queue

(5)(+0000001): SELECT charsetID FROM itemAttachments WHERE itemID=?

(5)(+0000000): Binding parameter 1 of type int: 79

(3)(+0000001): Running pdfinfo "C:\Users\NETclub200\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\pr7em2h2.default\zotero\storage\7RTS24IU\Compendium_2011_web.pdf" "C:\Users\NETclub200\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\pr7em2h2.default\zotero\storage\7RTS24IU\.zotero-ft-info"

(3)(+0002595): Error running pdfinfo

(3)(+0000000): Running pdftotext -enc UTF-8 -nopgbrk "C:\Users\NETclub200\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\pr7em2h2.default\zotero\storage\7RTS24IU\Compendium_2011_web.pdf" "C:\Users\NETclub200\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\pr7em2h2.default\zotero\storage\7RTS24IU\.zotero-ft-cache"

(3)(+0002251): Error running pdftotext

(5)(+0000001): Committing transaction

(3)(+0000000): Resetting Notifier event queue

(5)(+0000000): SELECT indexedPages, totalPages AS total FROM fulltextItems WHERE itemID=?

(5)(+0000001): SELECT indexedPages, totalPages AS total FROM fulltextItems WHERE itemID=?

(4)(+0005175): Registering observer for [collection,search,share,group,bucket] in notifier with hash ZK'

(5)(+0000002): SELECT itemTypeID AS id, typeName AS name, custom FROM itemTypesCombined WHERE display=2

(5)(+0000002): SELECT itemTypeID AS id, typeName AS name, custom FROM itemTypesCombined WHERE display=1
  • Hi!

Really nobody who resolved this problem in the past? ;.(

Regards,
    Hans
  • Try deleting the files, restarting your computer, clearing your browser cache, and reinstalling.

Otherwise, perhaps it's some security mechanism in Vista or some software you're running.
  • Dear Dan!

Sorry to say that it still does not work. Vista is clean, no special software installed.

Regards,
    Hans
  • edited May 13, 2011
    Hi!

Now disabled all FF plugins and extensions and even restarted Win in protected mode and so on ... nothing helps. Still the same old "Wrong parameter" message when I try to index pdf.

I give up.
  • Do you get the same message if you double-click the pdf* executables via Explorer? (If they work, you won't see anything.)

What are their file sizes?
  • My best guess is that they're being corrupted by either your network or Firefox.
  • I had the exact same problem and yes, if one tries to start the files by "double-clicking the pdf* executables via Explorer" the same error occurs, thus it is caused by the executables.

Nothing I tried worked, except for this solution: use the original xpdf files. Thus:

1.) Download the xpdf win precompiled libs here: http://foolabs.com/xpdf/download.html
    2.) Unpack them anywhere.
    3.) Copy "pdfinfo.exe" and "pdftotext.exe" to the zotero dir, mostly sth like "C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xyz.default\zotero"
    4.) In the zotero dir, delete the old "pdfinfo-Win32.exe" and "pdftotext-Win32.exe" and rename "pdfinfo.exe" and "pdftotext.exe" to "pdfinfo-Win32.exe" and "pdftotext-Win32.exe".
    5.) Restart Firefox.

It now should work. Only thing is that a cmd window will now appear each time you index a PDF but never mind that..