report ID 244971447: note writing in zotero

Dear all,

I am running ff4 with zotero 2.1.5 add-on on windows xp. I write a lot of notes in zotero (of which I am a great fan!!!!). Since yesterday I am experiencing time-lags or delays when writing notes. While writing, all of the sudden the cursor disappears and nothing happens. Than, after around 10 to 20 seconds, everything that I have written since the cursor disappeared, appears at once. Sometimes, the window of the note minimizes and the zotero main window appears. It is quite disturbing since this happens very often (several times within the same sentence).

I have searched the zotero forum and elsewhere. I have tried several things from stopping automatic syn to setting the max characters for indexing per file to 0. Also, I disabled ff sync. But so far nothing worked. All other functions like retrieving bibliographic data etc. work just fine as usual.

I have the same set up installed on my netbook running on ubuntu 10.10. I do not have any problem with writing notes there. Therefore, I am not sure whether zotero is the problem or rather firefox or even windows...

I have sent an error report (244971447). Maybe somebody can give me a hint where to look?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Carmen
  • Does this happen after restarting your computer?

Does this happen in both pane mode and tab mode?

Have you tried disabling any other Firefox extensions?

Are you using a third-party sync tool (e.g., Dropbox) or storing your data directory somewhere other than your local hard drive?
  • Sometimes, the window of the note minimizes and the zotero main window appears.
    Not sure what you mean by this? Are you referring to the external note window?
  • Dear Dan,

yes, it happens after restarting my computer and in both pane and tab mode.
    I have just tried to edit notes with all other add-ons disabled but the problem persisted.
    I am not using any other third-party sync tools, only zotero sync and the firefox sync.

Oh. Yep. I was referring to the external note window. I have just tried to edit a note in
    the editing section embedded in the zotero window. And there I seem to experience less delay. At least not as disturbing as in the separate editing window.
  • Provide a Debug ID for an editing attempt.
  • here is the Debug ID: D539720800

I reproduced the problem: editing a note in a separate window, first a few delays/lags, then cursor disappeared and after a few seconds the editing window minimizes. I have to click on it in the windows task bar in order to continue editing.
  • Also, I disabled ff sync.
    Wait, Firefox sync or Zotero sync?

The debug output still shows auto-sync being enabled in Zotero. Does this still happen if auto-sync is disabled?
  • I disabled first automatic sync from zotero. Since this did not change anything, I unchecked the different sync options in firefox (bookmarks, passwords etc.). I thought that firefox sync might interfere.

Since both options did not solve the problem, I turned the sync functions on again (afraid of loosing data, forgetting to sync manually...). I have not disabled ff sync and zotero sync (again) for the Debug report.

By the way, thank you for going through my problem...
  • OK. Can you provide another Debug ID, with auto-sync disabled, that covers only a single edit that shows this behavior?
  • Here is the new Debug ID: D73336775.
    I have to type a few words before the behavior appears for the first time.
    This time, the external editing window closed down (instead of minimizing only as before). However, the changes are all saved.
  • I think I am having the same problem, or one very similar. I've created a new standalone note but when I type anything into it it quickly vanishes. I tried pasting text, which appears fine for a moment or two, but then this vanishes also. I trashing this note and creating a new one, only to have the same experience. It's quite frustrating; right now the notes function is unusable. Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
  • edited April 15, 2011
    For Pete's sake, now I can no longer edit pre-existing notes. Basically, Zotero's notes function is now completely broken. Anybody have any suggestions? I'm using 2.1.2 on a Macbook Pro, and I assume the same on a PC at the office.
  • Update to Zotero 2.1.6 first of all.

Please provide error and debug reports as Dan describes above.