Error upgrading OpenOffice Integration with OOo Portable

Hi,
I´ve just updated Zotero and word processor plugins, but integration with OpenOffice3 does not work now.
1. When trying to upgrade OO3 on my local disc (C:/), the process finishes ''successfully'', but it is not possible to insert citations ("communication error").
2. When trying to upgrade OO3 on my external disc (F:/), it is not possible to add a new path. A manual integration also is not correct (an pop-up windows says: (com.sun.star.registry.CannotRegisterImplementationException) ((Message-'''', Context = (com.sun.star.uno.XInterface)@0 )). As expected, an attempt to add a new citation into the OO3 Portable is not successful then. A pop-up windows says: Zotero experienced an error updating your document. '[JavaScript Error: "_lastDataListener is undefined" (file: "file:///F:/PortableApps/FirefoxPortable/Data/profile/extensions/zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration.js" line: 194)]' when calling method: [zoteroIntegrationApplication::getActiveDocument].
MS Word integration functions good (the plugin updating, as well as citations and bibliographies insertion).
Please, help me to fix OpenOffice Integration functionality (the most important for me is Portable version of OO3).
Thank you in advance, Vee
  • I've got similar problems. I'm using portable FireFox and portable OpenOffice Writer. I've got 2 USB Devices. Both USB Devices do not work. They all worked well a few months ago.

I upgraded one of them today and found the same problems as yours. So I uninstall the Zotero OpenOffice org Integration and install an older version (3.1b1). When I tried to insert citation into an OpenOffice document, a message, "OpenOffice could not communicate with Zotero. Please ensure Firefox is open and try again." popped out. I tried it on three difference computers. It does not work. Then, I take out my another USB deviice, which I didn't upgrade anything and it worked well originally. It doesn't work either.

One of my USB devices:
    Fire Fox: 3.6.13
    Zotero: 2.1.1
    OpenOffice Writer: 3.1.1
    Zotero OpenOffice org Integration: 3.1b1

The other one:
    Fire Fox: 3.6.13
    Zotero: 2.0.9
    Open Office Writer: 3.1.1
    Zotero Openoffice Integration: 3.0b3

Can anybody help?
    Thank you very much.
  • I'd recommend updating those OOo versions to 3.3 that might help. Also, if you can update FF to the most recent 3.6 brach version (.16 I believe) that might help.
  • If you are running Portable OOo, you will need to do a manual installation. You can put Portable OOo anywhere, and Zotero doesn't know where to look.
  • I've had similar problems. Firefox 4 has worked with Zotero 2.1.5 and OpenOffice 3.3 on one desktop and FF 3.6 has worked with them on another. My laptop with FF 3.6 worked with the extension 3.1b1 for OpenOffice, but when I installed FF 4, I haven't been able to get it to work with either extension. Removing and reinstalling FF 3.6 now doesn't work with either extension. I've removed OpenOffice several times, tried all the options with NeoOffice--but to no avail. It's odd that the laptop, a Toshiba Portege, just won't work now.
  • See the installation error page. If you get an error going through those steps, post it here.
  • Thank you everyone. I'll try these tonight and post the result here. Thanks again.
  • Many many THANKS, everybody. It works well again! I follow your suggestions, upgrade everything and do a manual installation. It WORKS at last. Zotero is really a nice and useful program. I can't imagine how I can finish the thesis without it.

THANK YOU, everybody.

I'll post the steps in detail tomorrow. I hope this could help other people who have the same problems.
  • The following is what I did:
    1. Upgrade portable Firefox to 3.6.16
    2. Upgrade portable Zotero to 2.1.1
    3. Upgrade portable Openoffice to 3.2.0
    4. Install Zotero Openoffice integration by
    Starting FF,
    Opening Zotero,
    Clicking Action --- Preferences---Cite---get word processor plug-ins, (I chose the latest version)
    Install the integration
    (Error message popped out)
    5. Restart FF
    Click Tools---Add on---Zotero Openoffice integration---enable
    Restart FF
    6. Locate the integration component by
    Opening Zotero
    Clicking Action---Preferences---Cite---install extension---manual installation
    7. Install the integration by:
    Opening Ooo
    Clicking Tools---extension manager---add
    Navigate to the integration component
    Restart Ooo
  • Took awhile to check things out again. I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times, even reloading Firefox. For some reason, I get the same error messages about the Java loader. It works on both my desktops with the same configuration but not with the Toshiba laptop. I've wondered about trying the OpenOffice 3.4 beta to see if it's Java installation works better.
  • Meant to mention that when I uninstall and reinstall OpenOffice, it still has the shortcuts for Zotero, even if they don't work (and are in words, not icons). Even if I uninstalled Zotero within OpenOffice and uninstalled it, it still has those, so it makes me think that the uninstall is incomplete. But I don't know how fully to uninstall OpenOffice. When I installed LibreOffice 3.3, however, it didn't work either.
  • At last! Just in case this helps: After many more uninstalls and reinstalls of OpenOffice and LibreOffice, I finally got it working. I think the key was finding the hidden files to uninstall for OpenOffice. There were always files left over in the ProgramFiles (x86) subdirectory, but that didn't help to get rid of those. It wasn't until I found the files under AppData by looking at paths in OpenOffice that I was able to get rid of everything. And one can't find AppData by searching the subdirectory. It's hidden, so I had to type it in manually with the search programs and files box which pops up in hitting the START button. When I reinstalled, it only worked with the 3.1b1 version (the older one, not the newer one) and FF 4.