Extract Bibliography from Document

Hello,

I was wondering if there would be a way that I could export the X number of references( with attachments) from a ODT or DOC that I created using Zotero.

It would take too long to find each reference in my library, select than export.

This would make the collaborative research more feasible.

Thus if I would send my paper for review, I could send the cited articles with it.
  • Presently, there is no way to do that.

FWIW: my solution to this is to have a collection for each article I write & to put articles in these collections as I cite them.
  • I'd advise creating a collection containing all the items you cite for any given paper. It's not like you're duplicating the records.

It would be nice to be able to go backwards from the plugin, though. Maybe a "Create Collection from Bibliography" option. I'll add it to my list of things to bring up in the future.
  • @ahoward - while that's possible, it means twice as much work in a regular workflow: once for inserting the citation, then to go into Zotero and put the into the collection. That is certainly not something I would want to do.
    Something along the lines of the "Create Collection" function seems highly desirable - if I'm not mistaken that's also not the first time it's being requested
  • I would really like that too. I have many documents in zotero for my thesis but I only reference a few of them. When there is an issue with one of the references (e.g. misses the author). First, I have to find which article I reference: I click on "edit", (make sure I'm in the "my library" collection or it won't highlight). Then I have to go back to Zotero, edit the reference and refresh the citations. This takes quite a while!

an "export all references used to new collection" would be great, also allow to send the articles to someone, or do an online reference page.

thanks!
  • another vote for this feature. once you write more than a manyscrip, it is very useful for collaborative writing
  • My understanding is that the Zotero team is planning on eventually embedding citation metadata in the documents it creates (via Word or OpenOffice), so that other Zotero users can then read the citation data back out directly from the document.

In the meantime, creating a collection as you go is probably the best option. Having such a collection will also reduce the number of times you have to search again for a source you've already cited in a given paper.
  • Another request for this feature. Better yet would be for zotero to attempt to match references written out by hand with an online database so if I use the citation in the future I could use Zotero.
  • edited April 7, 2011
    Is there any news on this feature "export all references used to new collection"?
    I consider it to be of great help.

Kind regards,
    Dennis
  • no. No nothing new here - this is still quite a bit off.
  • Thanks for the info.

Regards
  • I also wish to have such a feature!

Imagine the following use case: You wrote an article in word using Zotero and now you have to convert it into LaTeX. Creating the corresponding BibTeX-file is a very time consuming undertaking...
  • Another vote for this feature ("create a new collection based on the references in a Word doc") -- it would be extremely useful.
  • (we're one step closer to this - references are already embedded in the Word doc - and afaik this is planned. A third party plugin also seems very doable if someone is motivated)
  • Another vote for this. It would be so practical, especially in collaborative projects.
  • I agree this would be useful.

And yes, I create a folder of what I think should go in my papers, but what ultimately goes into them is something entirely different. Being able to "prune" a folder based upon what goes into the document or create a new folder based upon bibs in a document would be incredible useful for maintaining an accurate archive.
  • Another vote for this. Did probybly anyone find/develop a third party plugin for this feature?
  • Any news on this? I need this feature!! :-)))
  • Absolutely, very much needed... surprised this feature wasn't available in the first place.
  • My suppor to this feature. I need it.
  • Somebody in Zotero is not reading the forums...
  • edited April 13, 2015
    everyone developing for Zotero is reading the forums. Unfortunately, reading about a feature request doesn't make it appear out of thin air.
  • Unfortunately. But this feature seams feasible and was suggested 5 years ago...
  • edited April 30, 2015
    Ran up against this when writing my dissertation. Rather than remember to manually copy each reference into a giant 'dissertation' collection, I just manually exported a .bib of the entire Zotero library from time to time.

To create this 'dissertation' collection, I first compile the .tex as per normal, which as a side-effect creates the .bcf database file (I use biber/biblatex). Then, I generate a .bib file containing just those references actually used in the dissertation:

`biber --output-format=bibtex --output-resolve dissertation.bcf`

And rename the resulting dissertation_biber.bib file to my-dissertation.bib. That resulting .bib file can be imported to Zotero standalone (File -> Import), which automagically creates a my-dissertation collection!

The down side, of course, is that you have to then merge a crapload of duplicates. But that only takes a few minutes of manic repeated clicking.

Hope that helps (at least the LaTeX users out there).

Love Zotero - thanks guys!
  • Can that be true?
    This is very strange. One of the most useful features in collaborative work. End Note can do it for a long time - why not Zotero?
    Christian
  • well, if you write collaboratively, I'd suggest just using groups instead, which is something Zotero has been able to do for a long time and EndNote can't do. Beyond that, though, it's just not terribly easy to implement this in a smooth way and there are lots of things people are working on. Features take time.
  • true, and groups are nice and in any case I'd not go back to End-Note ever (it got overwhelmed with the quantity of references I had in my thesis, and instead of giving an error message started to assign references randomly)

the problem with groups is that it uses storage space in "the cloud" which implies both costs and environmental (energy) impacts.

Christian
  • the problem with groups is that it uses storage space in "the cloud" which implies both costs and environmental (energy) impacts.
    I'm all for a better environment, but unless you store large amounts of files in your Zotero groups (like 100s of GBs of PDFs), your footprint in the cloud should be negligible (see e.g. http://techblog.netflix.com/2015/05/netflix-streaming-more-energy-efficient.html for some numbers).
  • and, of course, costs are only a factor if you attach files in groups, which isn't a feature for Endnote traveling libraries either.
  • I have been using Zotero for years and I recommend it to everyone! For my last article, I'm writing only Discussion and did my doc with refs. But the main author needs to integrate into the article. I could export a collection dedicated to the article to a RIS file but I used references that I have read over the years and they are scattered over sub-collections. A group is overkill as I write very few papers with that collaborator. So what has been described above seems like a very elegant solution...
  • no one disagrees this would be nice&convenient. It's just not there yet.