Problems and Questions about syncing

We have our Group Library. For some the syncing is working well. But in some cases it produced something which we don’t understand. One thing is the “Updated By“ column in the „Recently Added Items” table. Whose name is written here? We had the case that a normal syncing process of one of us leads to a change of this name in every item but the item was not updated from this member. Today again it was a reset by replacing the local library. And the same happend today the members name is the “updated by” name. Why?

One other thing with the same reset it produced an already deleted collection again in our library. How can this happen?
And one more it is something similar with tags. They were already deleted and synchronized. And the reset from today “produced” them again so we have to delete them once more???

Is there a possibility to get a log for the syncings? And my last question: How is it going with the update of the syncing procedure?

Thanks a lot in advance
PKS
  • Today again it was a reset by replacing the local library.
    What do you mean by this? One of the reset options in the Sync pane? Those should not be used in normal usage of Zotero.

There may be some cases (including use of the reset options) in which syncs can incorrectly update the Updated By column. We'll try to track those down and fix them.
  • edited March 11, 2011
    Hi Dan, yes we used the reset option in the sync pane. We had with this special Group member a lot of errors as above (conflicts between remote and local copys, with tags and name changed in the “Updated By“" and this within each sync etc). And also the sync took hours. So we thougt there is something wrong with the local library and we maybe get rid of it by reseting the local library. But the problems are still there. And if another member sync now the massage is beside the sync arrow is downloading 3000 files but 0kb. I dont understand this. So what can we do?
  • No news? I would be very happy if someone could help. Thanks a lot!
  • This isn't really specific enough a problem report for us to help you. I don't really understand the issues, and I have no idea whom they're happening to.

Report one problem at a time, and include all the relevant information.

And don't use the Reset options unless you know exactly what they're for. As the Reset pane says, they're not meant for troubleshooting.
  • Sorry Dan, it seems that it is sometimes difficult to describe problems and to provide all relevant information if we not know what is relevant to you. For us, all the described things are one problem: the syncing process producing something we do not understand.

Another sorry but we have used the reset option as we understood your linked page: “you may prefer to overwrite all data on one side with data from the other side” “If all of your desired data is on the Zotero server, use Restore from Server.”

For now we will continue to monitor and if we see a pattern, we hope that we can ask you again.

Many thanks to you
    PKS
  • HI Dan, I will give an update to my previous mentioned problem. I will grab out one thing. If one group member starts to sync with our online library 2/3 of the local files will be uploaded (which are already online). And within this process a conflict resolution windows appears for a lot of entries but the information there is a bit strange (see picture) http://img42.imageshack.us/i/conflictl.jpg/ the date of last modifying of the remote file is in 1970. I checked the online Version but the date is in 2011. You have any idea?
    Thanks a lot
  • Are you all running Zotero 2.1?
  • No. Is it necessary? But the same problem occur before 2.1
  • Right, but 2.1 fixes many things. There's no guarantee that it will fix your problem, but there's no point in debugging a complicated issue that may no longer exist.
  • Of course. We will update it and hopefully you are right.
    Thanks
  • HI Dan, I updated the Pc of my group member to 2.1.2 but the same problem occur. I created an error report. I will put it here and i will make a new thread too. Report ID: 295407607.
    Thanks
  • You've mentioned a bunch of different issues in this thread. Can you clarify the particular problem you're facing now?
  • Hi Dan, for me these two problems occur together:

If one group member starts to sync with our online library 2/3 of the local files will be uploaded (which are already online).
    And within this process a conflict resolution windows appears for a lot of entries but the information there is a bit strange (see picture) http://img42.imageshack.us/i/conflictl.jpg/ the date of last modifying of the remote file is in 1970. I checked the online Version but the date is in 2011. You have any idea?
    Thanks a lot
  • What do you mean by "will be uploaded"? With Zotero File Storage, the same file is never actually uploaded more than once, even if the sync progress bar shows some files being processed.

If there's a conflict resolution window in the middle of the file sync, it's possible that the files would be processed over and over until it's resolved.

Provide a Debug ID for a sync attempt that produces the erroneous conflict resolution window, and we'll take a look.
  • Ok the first point is good to know. I have to wait only.

resolved means i have to click on every file?

The debug ID i cant produce now. But in some hours.
    Thanks
  • Not sure what you mean by "wait". You should be able to continue working while it's syncing.

Yes, resolved would mean accepting every file change, but provide a Debug ID first, in case there's a problem that we can fix to avoid the erroneous errors.
  • Ok now I’m back. I produced a Debug ID: D2040938431.

With wait I mean that what the sync progress bar shows will take a long time. It will “upload” 2GB (ca. 3000 files). I hope you are able to avoid us from accepting every file change because there were no file changes.
    Thank you for your help
  • No news? I would appreciate any new information. Thanks a lot.
  • OK, try the latest 2.1 Branch dev XPI, and provide another Debug ID if you still get erroneous conflicts.

And again, regardless of what files are processed and displayed in the progress meter, it won't actually upload any files that are already on the server.
  • Thanks a lot. I will try the 2.1 Branch and let you know the result.
  • Ok Dan it is working with the latest Branch. Great!!! Thanks a lot.
  • OK, great. The fixes will be in 2.1.6, but you can probably switch back to 2.1.5 now without trouble. In any case, be sure to switch back to a main release at some point.
  • Good, I will do that. And again Thanks a lot for your help.