Zotero does not work after upgrading to version 2.1.2 (?)

After an automatic upgrade zotero stopped working. It happened end of march so i guess it must have been version 2.1.2. (But the problem persists since then and it still occurs with zotero 2.1.5)
when i try to start zotero the interface is loaded but in the middle pane it says something like "An error occured. Please restart firefox" When trying to minimize the zotero-pane it says "There was an error starting zotero"
After restarting firefox its the same situation.
I just submitted a report - the report-id is: 1047080020

any help/suggestions very appreciated,

frank

FF: 3.6.16
Zotero: 2.1.5
Zotero Winword: 3.1
  • No Zotero error is logged in there, but your previous report showed a file access issue:
    [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED) [nsIFile.remove]" nsresult: "0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/fulltext.js :: clearCacheFile :: line 957" data: no]
    Try disabling any anti-virus/security software you're running and check permissions on all files in the Zotero data directory. That file in particular would be a .zotero-ft-cache file in one of your 'storage' subdirectories, but it's likely to occur with other files too. Zotero can't access the file for some reason, and there's nothing it can do about that.
  • i checked the permissions in the zotero data directory and the checkbox next to the read-only attribute was not checked but filled with blue color(?).
    i clicked on the checkbox so the color disappeared and i applied the change to all subfolders and files in the directory.
    after this the zotero-library was working again!
    thanks!
    frank
  • Yeah, I believe that's a partial fill, indicating that some files within are read-only. Not really sure how that happens, but it's not uncommon on Windows.