IEEEXplore translator: several bugs

I'm having problems with the IEEEXplore translator. There are three problems I see:

1. I have yet to have it successfully capture a PDF. I have permission to download the PDF, so that shouldn't be a problem.

2. The DOI field remains blank, despite it existing on the webpage.

3. Authors oftentimes (but not always) get duplicate entires.

You can see all three issues with the following example link: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/search/srchabstract.jsp?arnumber=551694&isnumber=11966&punumber=83&k2dockey=551694@ieeejrns&query=%28%28methods+for+reconstruction+of+2-d+sequences+from+fourier%29%3Cin%3Emetadata%29&pos=0

Any help would be appreciated.

For future reference, is it easy for an end user to try and fix translator bugs and then submit them to the zotero dev team? I'm reading up on the docs for translators, but there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to extract the code for a current translator and then submit a fixed version.
  • Just thought I'd bump this to see if anyone else can confirm that these are real problems :)
  • I have the same problem that I can\'t automatically download pdf from IEEEXplore\'s search result. I\'m using version 1.0.2 and I remember that there is no such problem in the previous version.
  • I have not noticed problems with PDF download, even following the link given above.

As to the authors, the RIS files passed to the translator by the website occasionally contain multiple author tags to support various RIS standards. I'm working on a fix for this problem, as well as scraping DOIs.
  • For future reference, is it easy for an end user to try and fix translator bugs and then submit them to the zotero dev team? I'm reading up on the docs for translators, but there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to extract the code for a current translator and then submit a fixed version.
    You can do this with Scaffold.
  • edited January 26, 2008
    I'm having the same problems here, using version 1.0.2, although the automatic PDF download for the link given be nxmehta works (strangely, it's the only article I found on IEEEXplore where the automatic pdf download actually happens), but still with duplicate authors and no DOI.

Here are a couple of examples where all the bugs described by nxmehta happen (at least on my computer):
    http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/search/srchabstract.jsp?arnumber=825799&isnumber=17872&punumber=18&k2dockey=825799@ieeejrns&query=%28%28capacity+of+wireless+networks%29%3Cin%3Emetadata%29&pos=14
    http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/search/srchabstract.jsp?arnumber=1097890&isnumber=24079&punumber=26&k2dockey=1097890@ieeejrns&query=%28%28capacity+of+wireless+networks%29%3Cin%3Emetadata%29&pos=4
    Given that my University computer grants me automatic access to the whole IEEEXplore database, this shouldn't happen. Is there any specific reason for some PDF's being automatically downloaded and others not??

Actually, I've noticed that, after adding the articles to Zotero, if you click on the URL that appears under "Info" of any of the two articles above, you'll link to a webpage with a "Not found - The requested object does not exist on this server", even though the pdf link on the IEEE site works perfectly.

Sorry for the lengthy post. This was my first one. Zotero is a great program, but would be even better if these bugs were fixed! ;) Any suggestions?
  • Thanks for all the replies everyone. Looks like the dev team knows about the multiple author/DOI problems, but there are some people still having problems downloading PDFs. I'm still not able to catch PDFs in IEEEXplore. I'm running Zotero 1.0.2 and I tested it on a clean Firefox 2.0.0.11 profile in Vista over a VPN connection. I'll try running it again when I'm at a LAN at school and not using VPN. If that still causes problems (which will be a pretty sterile setup), I'm not sure how to help debug... I'll try to download Scaffold and see what that does. If the devs have any advice on how to help debug this on my end let me know :)
  • edited January 27, 2008
    Ok, downloaded scaffold and can report some interesting information:

1. *Immediately after* installing scaffold, the original link I posted catches the pdf properly.

EDIT - This is incorrect, even without scaffold the pdf downloads fine on my sterile firefox profile. The main problem is outlined below.

2. Other links do not capture properly, as mentioned by the previous poster. Here's another example: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/search/srchabstract.jsp?arnumber=1364613&isnumber=29894&punumber=9418&k2dockey=1364613@ieeecnfs&query=dehon&pos=7

If you examine the links for these two cases closely you can see that there is an error in creating the url for pdf download in the second case. Here's the direct pdf link for the first case, that the translator detects correctly:

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/iel4/83/11966/00551694.pdf

Now, here's the direct pdf link that Zotero/Scaffold parses for the second case:

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/iel4/9418/29894/01364613.pdf

However, the correct link is actually

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/iel5/9418/29894/01364613.pdf

You'll see that the only difference is the iel4 vs iel5 string. The code in the IEEEXplore translator in Scaffold shows that it's hardcoded to assume that the link uses the iel4 string (line 66). Therefore, pdfs that use iel5 will not work.

I'm totally new to this; I'll try to see if I can hack up a fix but if there's a dev that sees an obvious way to fix it, by all means go ahead :)
  • Thanks to everyone for helping confirm these bugs. I've just pushed a translator fix meant to take care of them. You can update your translators manually in the Preferences pane of Zotero, or they will update automatically within 24 hours. Please let us know whether the bugs are fixed or not.

Thanks!
  • edited January 29, 2008
    Thanks so much for the prompt replies. Just updated my translator and tested again. When I try to save an article, I get the following message in the popup dialog:

"Could not save item.

An error occurred while saving this item. Check Known Translator Issues
    for more information."

However, when I check my Library I see that the article was saved properly, with the correct number of authors, DOI entry, and downloaded pdf! So it looks like all the bugs were fixed and the translator is working, despite what that error message says. Let me know if you need me to debug the message on my end.

EDIT- Ok, I found something else. This is weird. The translator only downloads the PDF when I have both the "attach snapshot" and "attach pdf" preferences checked- if I have "attach snapshot" unchecked but "attach pdf" checked, it doesn't catch the pdf. Also, I can never get it to take a snapshot (I never use them, but it might help figure out what's up).

Sorry for all the bug reports :(
    (Although I've got some more coming with the ACM translator!)
  • I have encountered the same problems on my end... The article is saved properly, but I get an error message in the popup dialog.

Thanks for all the help!
  • edited January 30, 2008
    I have encountered similar problems, but mine are much worse. When I click on the save to zotero button in the Firefox address bar the zotero pop-up box come up without any message what-so-ever. The article is NOT saved to my library at all.

Thanks!
  • Looks like some of these issues were fixed in the update to 1.0.3?

On a side note, I've been learning how to write translators and have a fix for the ACM translator to parse DOIs. How can I submit this or check it in?
  • @nxmehta: I just installed 1.0.3 and it didn't make a difference.

A few details:
    1) Zotero works if I click on the "folder" button on the address bar, it will even download the pdf automatically.
    2) Zotero doesn't work if I am viewing an IEEE pdf in firefox (2.0.0.11) and then use the address shortcut button to save the article.
  • heyyotyson: Zotero cannot import PDFs directly the way you're describing.
  • sean: I'm not talking about importing PDFs directly. I'm talking about saving the reference in Zotero.

While viewing a pdf from IEEE in Firefox the *journal article* button will appear in google's location bar. If this button is clicked, the reference to article is saved in Zotero.

This has worked up until last week. I'm not sure what has changed since then, but this function is definitely broken.
  • nxmehta: I've created a ticket for your patch. You can sign up for a Trac account if you don't have one and submit the patch to that ticket.