Drag and drop Quick Copy not working

Zotero's drag-and-drop Quick Copy ("Simply select items in the center column and drag them into any text field. Zotero will automatically create a numbered and alphabetized bibliography for you.") doesn't seem to be working. When I attempt the quick copy, the word "False" appears in whatever data field I attempt to drag and drop to. I'm using a Mac and the most recent version of Zotero.
  • edited March 14, 2011
    You need to provide more details.

What version of Zotero? What Quick Copy format? Have you tried others? Where are you dropping the items?
  • Dan. I am using Zotero version 2.1rc2. I've tried to drag and drop to a number of text fields (Word for Mac, Google Doc, Lotus notes, etc.), all with the same result that the word "False" appears in each text field. I was using the Bluebook format. Now, I've tried several other formats (Chicago, APA) and they seem to work except instead of a numbered list, the citations appear unnumbered.
  • OK, I can reproduce it with the Bluebook style. We'll look into it.
  • This is now fixed on the trunk for the next release.
  • edited March 23, 2011
    Drag and drop works fine when I drag a citation into a Firefox 3.6 search field. But when I try dragging the same citation onto a .rtf file opened in Focus Writer, I get the correct citation intermingled with lots of triangles. When I tried pasting this deformed text in my comment, I could not. Other text from the same file can be pasted just fine.

This is not a major problem as I only use this program for initial notes, and I have the necessary Open office plugin installed for the word processor, but still this is quite mystifying. Am I doing something wrong or have I just discovered a bug?

My OS is Linux Mint 10 and I am using zotero 2.1.1

The offending program FocusWriter is available here http://gottcode.org/focuswriter/
  • What happens if you drag a citation to Open Office (rather than use the plugin) for testing purposes?
  • On dragging to Libre Office 3.3 I get almost correct citation that includes (html?) tags:

<ol> <li>W. Neil Adger, Social and ecological resilience: are they related?, <i>Progress in Human Geography</i> 24, no. 3 (2000): 347 -364.</li> </ol>

Dragging to Impress (powerpoint counterpart in open office) gets the same result of citation with tags

Dragging to LyX doesn't work.

Dragging to Text Room, which has a proprietary filetype .txr gets citation interspersed with triangles.

Dragging to Basket Notes works fine, but the text does not have any formatting (like italics for publication name)

Gedit text editor gives strange symbols (Unicode??) at the beginning of article name and publication name as below:
    1. J. David Allan, “Landscapes and Riverscapes: The Influence of Land Use on Stream Ecosystems,” Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 35, no. 1 (2004): 257-284.
  • I have the same problem on my system that joatmon reports. I am running Zotero 2.1.1 in Firefox 4.0, under Ubuntu 10.10:

1) Drag and drop into LibreOffice 3.3.1 results in the correct citation, but html tags are displayed:
    <div class="csl-bib-body" style="line-height: 1.35; "> <div class="csl-entry"> <div class="csl-left-margin" style="float: left; padding-right: 0.5em;text-align: right; width: 1em;">1.</div><div class="csl-right-inline" style="margin: 0 .4em 0 1.5em;">Aboushadi, N., Engfelt, W.H., Paton, V.G. & Krisans, S.K. Role of peroxisomes in isoprenoid biosynthesis. <i>J. Histochem. Cytochem</i> <b>47</b>, 1127-1132 (1999).</div> </div> </div>

NB The Zotero plugin in LibreOffice works fine, though.

2) Drag and drop into Google Documents (running in Firefox) works fine.
    3) Drag and drop into Text editor gedit works fine. I do not see the (strange) symbols in gedit that joatmon reports.
  • Gerbert's issue has been longstanding - this is nothing new for Zotero 2.1
    joatmon - I have nothing on what you see, sorry.
  • Unfortunately, any drag and drop bugs are probably Firefox's fault. If you see something that works fine with drag and drop from a webpage but not with a Zotero citation, we'll take a look, but otherwise there's probably not much we can do.