easier backup function please

hey develpoers and supporters
It would be great to have a easier backup (also for the not so computer-talented), best one button for it and a defined folder outside of firefox.
last crash i had saved only part of my data because each time you really have to go deep into stuff and copy paste manually ..
it would be great if you could help us (the everyday user) out!
best regards,
  • Can you be more specific about the steps you went through, and the changes you have in mind for making the process more easier or more reliable?
  • Buy an external hard-disk.
    Set your back-up software (included both with the harddisk and your operating system) to include the Zotero folder (or set the Zotero folder to be in a folder backed up automatically by your software).
    Never worry about it again.

There is absolutely no reason to manually back up anything anymore.
  • hey, thank you both for the fast and kind replys!

@ fbennett
    I was followning the manual, saving the zotero folders manually somewhere else. I thought about an option in zotero or firefox, like "save zotero database" and "choose folder", a two step process like saving some other file or homepage or picture or anything.
    This would be great.

@Adamsmith
    you are rigth, I should include zotero into a better overall backup strategy. even if I just want to save certain files, I could manage it with the backup. Thanx for the hint!
    but if i just want an extra backup for zotero on a pen drive? If it is not crazy complicate, an internal backup (like export) option would be really nice ...

thanx again for your help!
  • If you want to make copies easily, set a custom Zotero directory location, and put it somewhere easy-- like the desktop, My Documents, the like.
  • edited March 27, 2011
    It sounds like you may be saving off individual collections (folders) with Zotero RDF export. Note that if you "restore" items saved in this way, links to documents you have written against the original database will not be saved. For backup, you're better off preserving a copy of the entire database (the file zotero.sqlite).

(Edit: never mind ...)
  • no - I think it sounds like rp is doing this right - I second ajlyon's suggestion:
    Under Zotero Perferences--> Advanced
    you can set a custom directory. If you put that on your desktop or some other prominent place, you can make a back-up by simply copying that folder: That's one click (doing that will also make sure that the folder is included in your automatic back-up. Many back-up systems don't back-up the Firefox directory which includes Zotero.

Also, it would actually probably be hard to do this from within Zotero, as ideally Firefox (and thus Zotero) should be closed before making a back-up, so creating a back-up button would require a whole software routine that creates a copy of the database, closes it and saves it - probably doable, but also not trivial.
  • Asking this from a position of ignorance about the inner workings of Zotero but couldn't you do it via creating a "save and quit" window on exit like Firefox has, but save to a backup location which is set in preferences?
  • edited March 27, 2011
    Yeah, something link that could probably work -
    reflecting on what the original poster says I think what s/he really wants is not an _easier_ back-up option - the current back-up procedure really isn't complicated at all - but one that doesn't require to look at a how-to page.

Right now, a low-tech, manual-hating user (and let's face it, there are many of those) looking at Zotero has no clue how to back up. The most plausible option is to use "export" with the well known unfortunate consequences.
    If Zotero had a button - even one that required just as many steps as the current back-up procedure - more people would likely get this right, so on reflection I see the appeal of this (though I still think people should just back-up their entire harddisk anyway...).

It's still a trade-off,though, because such a button would take up space, would need to be well thought out etc. Although, if I'm right about the nature of the problem, a button that just serves as a link to a step-by-step instruction page such as the libguide above might do the trick.
  • edited March 28, 2011
    Adamsmith's point is quite right: in the absence of a "backup" sign in the interface, clueless manual-hating users will go for "export" (with the well known fall-out symptoms of coming to ask for help here when it is too late). Seems to me a "Backup your library" button under the Gears wheel would not be out of place and would not take too much UI real estate.

UI suggestion: this should bring up a wizard that looks like the database update wizard. Only choice would be location for saving. Default would be "My Documents\Zotero backup" (or "Desktop\Zotero backup"?). Saving would copy the whole Zotero folder including subfolders.

At the bottom of the dialog window there could be a recommendation saying sth like "If you want to make Zotero backup part of your regular backup schedule, you can choose a custom location for your Zotero folder and place your library in a folder that you regularly backup."
  • Many back-up systems don't back-up the Firefox directory which includes Zotero.
    Really? Firefox data is stored in the system's application data folder, where most non-document-based programs save their data (and document-based programs save preferences, license keys, etc.), and Firefox data alone includes bookmarks, browsing history, cookies, and saved passwords. Any whole-system backup program that doesn't back up the app data folder by default is broken.

It's possible we could provide a more prominent link to backup instructions, but I don't think it makes much sense to do more than that, both for technical reasons and because I don't think it's appropriate for every single program to provide a backup method. (And our backup instructions should perhaps encourage automated whole-system backups over manual copying of the folder.) I'm with adamsmith: buy an external hard drive and plug it in. I don't know how it works on other OSes, but on OS X, the system will then ask you if you want to use the drive as a backup drive, and you then have automated hourly backups of your entire system.
  • Dan - I might be wrong. I believe rssync default actually excludes hidden folders (which, of course, include the FF profile). I know that BackInTime, perhaps the most comfortable rssync gui client for linux, does that by default.
  • If you mean rsync, that is not the case:
    %  mkdir -p test/.test
    % touch test/.test/foo
    % rsync -a --progress test/ test2/
    sending incremental file list
    ./
    .test/
    .test/foo
    0 100% 0.00kB/s 0:00:00 (xfer#1, to-check=0/3)

sent 130 bytes received 38 bytes 336.00 bytes/sec
    total size is 0 speedup is 0.00
    In any case, many Linux programs store settings and data in dot directories in the home directory.
  • oh good. Then that's likely just a quirk of my software - wonder why they did that, it always seemed like a very bad idea to me.