Inserting citations extremely slow (+5 mins) with Mac 2011, large document & large database

I am running OX 10.5.8 with a 2.4 GHz processor, just updated Zotero 2.1, latest (3.1.1) Mac Word Plugin, Firefox 3.6.
My document (a PhD thesis) is now about 27,000 words long and has more than 500 citations, with about 300 individual items in the bibliography. When I attempt to insert a new citation, Firefox will hang with the scrolling colour wheel for approximately 5 minutes before showing the "insert citation" window(enough time to go the toilet and come back, the window finally appearing when I arrive back into my office).
Please help me. This is literally making my life miserable. I have been happily using Zotero since I started this document and I cannot switch to EndNote or Mendeley at this stage. This problem only started occurring since upgrading to Word 2011.
What can I do to resolve this issue? I have to insert dozens of new citations every time I revise the document and the length of time it is taking to insert only one citation is so extremely time consuming and frustrating it has actually brought me to tears. Please tell me what to do! I beg you! For my sanity!
  • What style are you using? Numeric styles can cause cascading changes throughout the document as the numbering is updated, which can take a long time. If you are using a numeric style, switch to an author-date on (for now), and switch back when you need to submit the manuscript. Switching between the two is safe.

Also, delete the bibliography from the end of your document-- Zotero has to update it each time you modify or add a citation, so you can save processing time by waiting to insert it until you actually are ready to submit the manuscript.
  • Hello, thank you for your response. I am using APA, so the numeric-style issue shouldn't be a problem. I removed the bibliography, but it's still taking over 3 minutes for the "add citation" window to come up in Firefox.
    What else could be causing the problem?
  • Your description seems clear, but just in case: Does the delay occur when you request an entirely new citation, or only when inserting a reference into an existing citation? (If the latter, do you keep the "Show Editor" window open on your citations during editing?)

(If the delay is occurring on entirely new citations, we can at least be sure that the citation processor is not causing the delay.)
  • Also, does that happen every time you insert a citation, or just the first time after opening a document or (re-)starting FF. My experience is that the first citation after a FF restart does take forever.
  • Hello,
    The delay occurs when I insert any new citation, not when inserting a reference into an existing citation.
    The first citation takes about 5 minutes, but even 2nd and 3rd citations take over 3 minutes.
  • I can report the same excruciating slowness when adding new citations. Mine is a huge document too (400 pages, no bibliography yet).

From a UI point of view, what is somewhat annoying (besides the time lag) is that no indication is given of what is happening. The citations window just fails to appear for about a minute or so, and FF becomes unresponsive. Word does remain responsive, and while this is better than being unresponsive without UI feedback, I never know how safe it is to keep typing while I'm waiting for the "insert citation" window to pop up.
  • edited March 28, 2011
    I have heard that the biggest latency is in pulling citations out of the document, and that Word is slower at this task than Open Office. I believe that Zotero currently touches every citation when there is an update (and the processor expects to receive a list of all citationIDs, in order to identify citations that should change in response to edits in the current citation, and intervening deletions elsewhere). This may be where the better part of this delay is coming from (although the length of the delay does hold out some hope that this might be due to a slow loop somewhere that can be sped up).

It's a judgement call for the core devs, but it might be possible to implement an optional "fast insert mode" for large documents, that requires only input data for the immediate citation being edited, and does not attempt to preserve correctness throughout the document by updating surrounding citations on the fly (the idea being that the document would periodically be updated manually with "Refresh" to touch up formatting). If a move is made in that direction, the citation processor (which I maintain) can certainly be adapted to the task without much trouble.
  • I would be happy with such a fast insert mode. It fits the more general workflow of working with fields in Word. For instance, I don't expect the TOC to be updated anytime page numbers change downstream. I specifically hit F9 to refresh fields if needed.
  • Can you provide a debug ID? This will let us know whether there is a problem in Zotero, or this is just Word being slow, in which case there's not much we could do about it.
  • This may be complaining on a high level, given your much more serious problems, but I am going to try anyways: I am using Zotero 3.03 on a MacBook Pro in a document with about 50.000 words 300 citations. When I insert a new citation, it takes about 5 seconds to open the selection dialogue to choose an item, and then again about 10 seconds to insert the bibliographic information into a word footnote and the bibliography at the end of the document (I know this seems trivial compared to your kind of issues). I am using Chicago style.

Having used a PC before, Zotero worked practically instantly, with barely any delay. Why is it so much slower on Mac? As far as it seems to me, transferring a bibliographical entry into a word footnote from a database is not a particularly performance intensive operation, or am I wrong?

Thank you so much for your help.
  • edited March 28, 2012
    thielto: are you using the Quick Format dialog or the classic add citation dialog? Does this depend on whether it's the first citation you add to a document or not?
    As far as it seems to me, transferring a bibliographical entry into a word footnote from a database is not a particularly performance intensive operation, or am I wrong?
    Zotero has to read the all of the references out of the document and determine how inserting a new reference will affect existing references. Usually, on a Mac, the bottleneck is Word, which returns the references very slowly. Word for Mac takes longer to return each individual reference as the document grows, and longer documents also have more fields. Word for Windows is faster at returning fields to begin with, and doesn't seem to get slower at returning individual fields as the number of fields grows.
  • Thank you for your fast response. I use the new quick format dialogue, but it is the same speed with the classic one as far as I can tell. It seems that already existing citations take longer then when adding a citation for the first time.

Thank you also for your explanation about regarding the steps that Zotero follows when adding a footnote. In general MS Office for Mac is by far not as good as the Windows version.

In any case, I will continue working happily with Zotero, even if I have to wait a few seconds here or there. Thank you so much for your excellent work!
  • I am experiencing a similar problem and have started a discussion: http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/22622/inserting-citations-is-very-slow/

I have tried most or all of the solutions posted in discussions concerning Zotero being slow, and have not had any positive results.
  • I am using Zotero ver. 3.0.6 on a MacBook Pro (2,4 GHz Intel Core i7 quad core, 8 GB RAM, 250 GB SSD) with OS X 10.7 and Word 2011 ver. 14.2.1 and plugin ver. 3.5.4. My document is 34 pages long so far with app. 140 references. I have tried using author-date style and have deleted the bibliography from the end of the document, but it is still painfully slow to insert new references. Trash folder is also empty. Please help!
  • define "painfully slow" - are you seeing the 5-10 secs described by thielto or the 5mins by the OP?
  • My painfully slow is = 5 mins.