Zotero toolbar missing in discussion board

I upgraded to Firefox 3 yesterday, and to the latest Zotero. I am enrolled at university, and like to capture my posts to the class discussion board in Zotero for future reference.

I tried to do that today, and the Zotero toolbar is missing in the pop-up windows of the WebCT discussion board (each post comes in its own pop-up). So I can't take snapshots of my posts. The Zotero toolbar is there on the main pages (where all the links to the threads are), and is also working on curriculum pages so I doubt if the university did anything to stop this happening. If they were going to protect their intellectual property they would protect those pages.

I did the usual things - got rid of all other Firefox extensions, reset translators etc in the advanced pane of the Zotero preferences, and restarted Firefox, but nothing has helped.

Any ideas? Has anyone else had this problem?
  • What do you mean by "Zotero toolbar"? The Firefox address bar, where the Zotero book/article/etc. icon appears when it detects something in the page? The Zotero address bar icon itself? The status bar, where status messages appear while pages are loading and where the "zotero" icon shows up by default? The Zotero status bar icon itself?
  • The bar at the top of the Zotero pane, that has the "new collection" icon at left, then the tag selector, actions, new item button, new item from current page icon, save link, snapshot, standalone note, advanced search and search, toggle fullscreen mode and x to close Zotero over on the right. None of that is there any more in the pop-up window where I need it, although all of that is there on the page that has the links to the posts. It is all there normally, e.g. while looking at this page, but I can't archive my discussion posts in Zotero now.

I hope my description is clearer now.

(I call it a toolbar because it is a bar that has all the tools on it. Too much Photoshop perhaps?)
  • The bar at the top of the Zotero pane, that has the "new collection" icon at left...
    Oh, well, yeah, that's the Zotero toolbar—I just didn't expect you to actually mean that. What, exactly, do you see in the pop-up window? Do you still see the rest of the Zotero interface? Can you provide a screenshot?
  • The rest of the Zotero interface is there. I made a screenshot. How do I upload that here?
  • You can post it somewhere and include a link or e-mail it to support@zot....org.
  • edited June 20, 2008
    I e-mailed the screenshot to the above address (filling in the dots). The subject line is "screenshot requested by Dan Stillman" and in the body I put the URL of this discussion.
  • Got it, thanks.

Short answer: Type about:config into the Firefox address bar, find the dom.disable_window_open_feature.toolbar pref, and double-click it to set it to true.

Long answer: Mozilla has apparently decided that, when a site opens a new window without toolbar=no, all toolbars in the window, even those from extensions, should also be hidden. This makes sense for toolbars that are added to the main browser UI, but it obviously doesn't work as well for Zotero (and it seems Firefox should really only hide toolbars in the main toolbox up top). The above pref prevents sites from being able to disable toolbars in new windows, so you'll see the usual Firefox navigation toolbar as well. We'll probably need to change Zotero to not use an actual <toolbox> object. I've created a ticket.
  • Thanks, that fixed it. Love the "here be dragons" warning.

It is no hassle having the Firefox navigation toolbar in the pop-up window - in fact I have opened it myself many times when looking at links people have posted.

Thanks again. I really appreciate the support here, and of course Zotero itself.
  • I had this problem yesterday and followed all these instructions to fix it, but I'm starting up this morning and the toolbar is gone again! I'm getting so frustrated. It seems like it's taking me over an hour to sort out technical glitches each time I use zotero.
  • If you're not seeing the Zotero toolbar when you start Firefox, it's not the same issue as in this thread. Disable your other extensions, starting with these. If you still have trouble, start a new thread.
  • The original issue (no zotero toolbar in popup without firefox toolbar) has surfaced again in FF4 (with zotero 2.1.1).