Openoffice integration problems with Debian testing + Libreoffice 3.3 + Firefox 4

I am stuck !

I recently installed (for other reasons) Firefox 4 as packaged by his Debian maintainer (which offer his own repository), ant took the opportunity to test Zotero 2.1. The first machine I so upgraded went fine (but kept the (3.1?) plugin it got originally).

Another machine got Firefox 4 (smoothly), Zotero 2.1.1 (ditto) and a new plugin.

3.5b1 seems to install fine (except that I had initially to point it to /usr/lib/libreoffice...)... but cannot coounicate with Zotero : When it run libreoffice from the command line, my first (and subsequent) attempts to insert a citation give me the following errors (bith in stderr and an error box) :
charpent@eee-ec:~$ libreoffice
charpent@eee-ec:~$ ZoteroOpenOfficeIntegration: Service initialized
ZoteroOpenOfficeIntegration: Executing addCitation
ZoteroOpenOfficeIntegration: Comm initialized
java.net.SocketException: Le réseau n'est pas accessible
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:351)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:213)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:200)
at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:366)
at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:529)
at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:478)
at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:375)
at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:189)
at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.Comm.run(Comm.java:251)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

I tried to uninstall 3.5 b1 from Libreoffice (went fine), from Firefox (ditto) and to install 3.1b1 : no way : the .xpi installs fine and asks for a restart of Firefox. Said restarts tries to (re-?) install the extension in Openoffice and fails because of an (unspecified error.

So I'm stuck with a hosed Zotero plugin on one machine. Nothing terrible, but quite annoying...

Any ideas ?
  • Do you have a proxy set up on your computer?
  • No proxy here... (by the way, I posted my request for help from the affected machine).
  • What version of Java do you have installed? Are you using OpenJDK or Sun Java?
  • Sun's java 6 as packaged in Debian wheezy 6-24-1 packages (bin, fonts, javadb, jdk, jre, plugin).

ISTR that I switched to Sun's java because the previous version of Zotero's plugin had problems with openJDK... I just reinstalled Sun's java, with the same result as before.

BTW: Ihave another machine (also i386) with the same setup (Debian wheezy + LibreOffice 3.3 + Zotero 2.1.1 + Sn's java) with no problem. it seems to be peculiar to my "trouble" machine.

HTH,

Emmanuel Charpentier
  • Switching back to OpenJDK (as packaged in Debian wheezy 6b18-1.8.7-2 packages) seems to have alleviated the problem. But it does in no way soplves it : There is a bug (probably deeply hidden, and triggered in special circumstances) either in Sun's Java or Zotero Openoffice plugin.

Any ideas ?

Emmanuel Charpentier
  • I think you may have been running into this bug. The only connection the integration plug-in makes is to 127.0.0.1 (loopback), so the network should definitely be accessible.
  • You may well be right. However, the "easy fix" mentioned in the bug report is no longer applicable (the configuration files hav moved again...).

Since I'm luky enough to have found this problem at a time where IcedTea is again able to ruin the Zotero plugin, I'll leave tis in place, until I find a way to reconfigure IPV6 bindings or the bug is fixed.

Thank you very much !
This discussion has been closed.