Zotero 2.1.1 not opening in Firefox 4.0

Thanks in advance if anyone can solve this!

I have two laptops, both Windows 7, and have been using Zotero on one laptop exclusively (i.e. my entire pdf library was only on that hard drive) until I got a virus. I was planning to wipe that hard drive, but haven't yet, and I've got what I think are the correct Zotero files (zotero.sqlite and the storage directory with some 30000 files), and all my pdfs, onto the other laptop.

I then tried the suggested method of reinstalling Zotero, but it forced me to download 2.1.1 and I didn't have Firefox 4.0 yet, somehow it then forced me to download that too. Firefox works fine as a browser, and I can see the Zotero icon in the lower right, but when I click on it, it crashes the browser (FF is not responding). So I don't even know if my library was transferred correctly or not, but it would be good to get it functioning at all first.

BTW I guess this would possibly have been solved or semi-solved with sync, but that has never worked for me in over 3 years of Zotero. Sorry for being long winded and agitated!
  • edited March 24, 2011
    Update: now I can get Zotero to open (no idea what I did though) but it won't open the files, when you click on them it just makes a zillion FF tabs without opening anything...ultimately still leading to nonfunctional FF. This is true in both tab and pane modes.

Plus side, all the indexed files from the other computer are there, now how to get them...

Thanks!
  • Sounds like a Firefox problem more than a Zotero problem.

See the top section at http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/file_handling_issues
  • edited March 25, 2011
    Thanks, that worked.

However a new problem has emerged that I can't save info/pdfs from journals online. The icon in the address bar is there. When you click it, it has only the red outline of the box in the lower right that should say it's downloading, and no matter how many tries it does not add to the library. I can save the pdf from the web to my hard drive, and add link to file, but then it still doesn't seem to download the metadata (also adding a journal article, drag/drop the new file in and manually entering the citation data is fine).
  • Report separate problems in separate threads.
This discussion has been closed.