Z 2.1 and Fx 4 problem: add-on bar forced visible

When Zotero is configured to be shown in the status bar, it will force the add-on bar to be shown every time Firefox 4 is restarted. Other add-ons don't do this, and this is in fact unnecessary and an inconvenience. The add-on bar can be toggled with CTRL-/., and I would only like to have it visible when I actually need it.
  • edited March 15, 2011
    Apparently a possible workaround is not to show Zotero in the status bar, but move the Zotero toolbar button to the add-on bar. It will look the same, but won't force the add-on bar visible.
  • Zotero forces the add-on bar to visible because the vast majority of users upgrading from earlier versions of Firefox would expect it to be where it always has been, and many people would likely panic if it were suddenly missing. The Fx4 add-on bar was originally supposed to be displayed automatically if an add-on added itself to it, but that hasn't yet been implemented. (The current documentation says that it's automatically shown for "restartless add-ons", which may or may not be true.)

We may change this behavior in the future, but in the meantime, yes, you can drag the toolbar button there instead to prevent the bar from being displayed automatically.
  • edited March 24, 2011
    @ Dan Stillman

> We may change this behavior in the future, but in the meantime, yes, you can drag
    > the toolbar button there instead to prevent the bar from being displayed
    > automatically.

I cannot remove the Zotero button from the 'Add-on Bar' and I really would like to maximize my vertical screen real estate.

As far as I can understand it, Zotero is in the category of Add-ons which do not comply with the FF4 standard (see for instance https://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.firefox/browse_thread/thread/584f1f273a2d1aae/0996ee0e1527e8e6), thus forcing the 'Add-on Bar' to be visible at every startup of FF.

When I go to Customize I find a Zotero button that I can place at the 'Navigation Tool Bar', but there surely is no way that I can move/remove the single Zotero button from the 'Add-on Bar' (while dragging it a 'no entry' is displayed which disappears when hovering over the 'Customize Toolbar' window but it will not 'drop'). I am using FF 4.0 and Zotero 2.1.1 in Windows 7.
  • When I go to Customize I find a Zotero button that I can place at the 'Navigation Tool Bar', but there surely is no way that I can move/remove the single Zotero button from the 'Add-on Bar'
    Read the thread above. Yes you can, by turning off the Zotero icon in the prefs.
  • edited March 24, 2011
    @ Dan Stillman

You are right!

I somehow overlooked the option "Status bar icon" (which I suppose is now better relabelled as 'Add-on Bar icon').

Regards
  • Hello Dan
    For what it's worth, I'd prefer Zotero didn't force the add-on bar. Thanks for considering this in due course
    Cheers
    Roger
  • A complete workaround is described above.
  • Yup, that's great. I think my ideal solution would be a simple bookmark option, but this is a hope rather than a moan
    Many thanks
    Roger
  • edited July 7, 2011
    Setting the zotero "status bar icon" preference to "None" seems to do the trick also.
  • grubs: Yes, as noted above.
  • *facepalm*
This discussion has been closed.