New Style Request: Agronomy Journal/Crop Science

I have been unable to identify a current style that would match the Agronomy Journal Style. The environmental and experimental botany style and the soil biology and biochemistry are close but are not an exact match. The style manual for the Agronomy and Crop science journal can be found at: https://www.crops.org/publications/style. Chapter 1 and the appendix have citation and reference examples and formatting information.
I am not computer savvy enough to create a new style myself so i would greatly appreciate any help that could be offered.
If you need more info please let me know
Thanks
  • it would be great if you could identify the exact differences between the mentioned styles and the AgrCSc style - would save a lot of time...
  • I tried to outline the differences between the environmental and experimental botany format and the crop science format
    I hope this helps

Environmental and experimental botany citation format

Citations
    (Christians 2004)
    (Carrow 2001; Sifers et al. 2001)
    (Toubakaris and McCarty 2000)

Bibliography

Conference Paper
    Carrow, R., 2001. Influence of organic matter dynamics on creeping bentgrass/pa greens. In: 71st annual Michigan turfgrass conference proceedings. Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, pp. 12-14.

Book
    Christians, N., 2004. Fundementals of turfgrass management. John Wiley and Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey.

Journal Article
    Sifers, S., Beard, J., Fraser, M., 2001. Botanical comparisons of twelve Agrostis cultivars in a warm-humid climate. Int. Turfgrass Soc. Res. J. 9 Part 1, 213-217.

Magazine Article
    Toubakaris, M., McCarty, B., 2000. Heat stress separates old and new bentgrasses: Cultivars vary in their responses to summertime stress. Golf Course Management 68, 49-53.

Crop Science, Agronomy Journal citation format

Citations
    (Christians, 2004)
    (Carrow, 2001; Sifers et al., 2001)
    (Toubakaris and McCarty, 2000)

comma between name and date

Bibliography

Conference Paper
    Carrow, R., 2001. Influence of organic matter dynamics on creeping bentgrass greens. p. 12-14. In 71st annual Michigan turfgrass conference proceedings. Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI.

Page no. follows title. In is italicized with no colon. Second line indented.

Book
    Christians, N. 2004. Fundamentals of turfgrass management. John Wiley and Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey.

No comma between name and date

Journal Article
    Sifers, S., J. Beard, and M. Fraser. 2001. Botanical comparisons of twelve Agrostis cultivars in a warm-humid climate. Int. Turfgrass Soc. Res. J. 9 (Part 1): 213-217.

Second author etc. first names precedes last name. the word and seperates the last two authors names. no comma between name and date. Colon between volume number and page numbers.

Magazine Article
    Toubakaris, M., and B. McCarty. 2000. Heat stress separates old and new bentgrasses: Cultivars vary in their responses to summertime stress. Golf Course Manage. 68(7): 49-53.

Issue number follows volume number and is in parentheses.
  • thanks - I will try to get to this soon, hopefully by tomorrow.
  • go to this page:
    http://gist.github.com/158814
    download the style using the "raw" link at the top right of the text (right-click, SaveLinkAs)
    drag the file (crop-science.csl) to Firefox and click yes on install.
    Any problems let me know
    Please report back if everything works correctly so I can upload the style to the repository if its OK.
  • I'll give it a try and let you know how it works. Thanks so much for your help
  • A few minor things. There needs to be a period after the journal/magazine name. the book edition number needs to follow the book title e.g. Fundamentals of turfgrass management. 2nd ed. Also the second line etc. of the bibliography needs to be indented just like the soil biology and biochemistry style.

Thanks again for your help.
  • OK, I think I got all of that - try again.
  • Everything looks good. I really appreciate your help.
  • glad to hear - I have uploaded the style as "American Society of Agronomy" and added "Crop Science" and "Agronomy Journal" as dependent styles.
  • Thanks Adam for your effort, I'm also using this code.
  • Thanks for getting the Crop Science style up. I think I found one problem--it doesn't appear to list electronic resources correctly. Unless I am missing something, the bibliography only shows the webpage name and author. The correct format should be as follows (from the style manual):

USDA-National Agricultural Statistics Service. 2000. Published estimates data base
    (PEDB). Available at http://www.nass.usda.gov:81/ipedb/ (verified 24 Aug. 2001).
    USDA-NASS, Washington, DC.

Wear, D. 2000. Research projects, Southern Forest Resource Assessment Consortium. Available at http://www.rtp.srs.fs.fed.us/ econ/research/sofac/projects.htm (verified 22 May 2001). USDA Forest Serv., Research Triangle Park, NC.

Thanks for your work on this.
  • thanks for pointing that out.
    I have partly corrected the style - it now gives the URL with availabe and verified.
    You can update it by re-installing the style.

what's the part behind the URL? The Publisher?
    That's a mess, why would they put that after the website information - I think it will now appear before if the website has a publisher and location. I'm not sure how hard that would be to do - I'll need think about that for a while.
  • I deleted the old version and then installed the new version of both Crop Science and Agronomy journal but the problem still exists. The style date is still listed as 8-4-09 for both of them. I think I did everything correct on my end, but I guess I can't be sure.
    thanks.
  • watk0027: Grab the latest version of American Society of Agronomy now.

http://www.zotero.org/styles/asa-cssa-sssa?install=1
  • Got it. It worked. Thanks!
  • This tool is super! Thanks so much for taking the time to make a compatible interface.
  • So there I was, getting ready to crack open the fine manual for CSL and try my hand at an asa-cssa-sssa citation style when it occurred to me maybe someone has already done this, and there it was! Thanks much!

What is the transition path out of dev? Are you looking for any additional feedback?
  • we're always looking for feedback to improve styles -
    but that's unrelated to "dev" - currently all but the most common styles are marked as "dev" - some of them are much better in quality than styles that aren't marked dev.

At some point Zotero should think about a way to rate styles or so, so that people have an idea of how reliable they are - but that's pipedreams for now.
  • edited August 9, 2010
    I'll be using this style quite extensively over the next few months. I'll post what I find as far as quality.

One thing that you may want to consider is that the style is for the journals of the Tri-Societies: American Society of Agronomy (ASA), Crop Science Society of America (CSSA), and Soil Science Society of America (SSSA).

ASA-CSSA-SSSA might be more easily found by a number of users than Agronomy Journal by itself.

The entire list of journals (I believe) is Agronomy Journal, Crop Science, Soil Science Society of America Journal, Journal of Environmental Quality, and Vadose Zone Journal. I think most people writing for any of the journals would find any of ASA, CSSA, SSSA. So maybe ASA-CSSA-SSSA as an alias in the Zotero Style Repository?

Thanks again!

Mark
  • it's no problem adding more dependent styles -
    so you say currently missing are:
    Soil Science Society of America Journal,
    Journal of Environmental Quality, and
    Vadose Zone Journal

We could also make a dependent style that's called ASA-CSSA-SSSA I guess, but do you really think anyone is not going to find the style if its listed under all Journal Names and the Society of Agronomy label?
  • No. I think listing all the journals work work perfectly well. Add Crop Science and you have all the bases covered. (Now I know the definition of dependent style!)
  • Hello,

A couple of suggestions on the Agronomy Journal and Crop Science styles.

Below is the journal bibliography example Zotero outputs (Agronomy Journal style):

Brouwer, D.J., E.S. Jones, and D.A. St Clair. 2004. QTL analysis of quantitative resistance to Phytophthora infestans (late blight) in tomato and comparisons with potato. Genome. 47(3): 475-492.

However, it should be like this:
    Brouwer, D.J., E.S. Jones, and D.A. St Clair. 2004. QTL analysis of quantitative resistance to Phytophthora infestans (late blight) in tomato and comparisons with potato. Genome 47: 475-492.

The main difference is: The issue# "(3)" is not included. For single-named journals (example "Genome" or "Hortscience") there is no period afterwords. However, if it was a two or more worded journal (example "Plos One") there would be a period after the journal name ("Plos One.").

Also, when citing more than one source in a paper, the ordering is by last name of the first author (I think the current way has it ordered by the journal title).

Of course, there are other little things that I do not expect to be auto-converted such as journal abbreviations ("Theoretical Biology and Medical Modeling" to "Theor. Biol. Med. Model") and italicizing species name. These sort of things will probably always require manual manipulation.

If you think I am incorrect about any of this, you can double check me by visiting the following website:
    https://www.agronomy.org/publications/style

Hope you find this helpful.
  • 1. Issue number - that's tricky: The style does call for issue numbers in journals w/o continuous pagination. There is no way for Zotero to know what a journal does here.
    2. I don't see a way to distinguish between single word and multiple word journals - it actually looks like there generally shouldn't be a period, though - all periods I see are from journal abbreviations - could you confirm that? (I'd expect this to be Plos One without period, just as it is Nature (London) without period in the examples.
    3. "When citing more than one source" are you referring to in-text or the bibliography?

We'll eventually be able to use journal abbreviation lists, so this won't have to be done manually forever, but at this point it does.
  • 1. Fair enough. It is an easy manual change for someone who is aware of it.

2. I looked back, and I think you are right. In the website above, under "abbreviations" I was threw off from "Am. Mineral." and "Ann. Amelior. Plant." examples. I didn't think Mineral and Plant were abbreviations but it turns out they are. Thanks for correcting me.

3. I am referring to in-text. The ordering of the bibliography is correct. However, I did notice Zotero ordered the following in the bibliography:

-1. Vleeshouwers, V., H. Rietman, P. Krenek, N. Champouret, C. Young, S.K. Oh, M.Q. Wang, K. Bouwmeester, B. Vosman, R.G.F. Visser, E. Jacobsen, F. Govers, S. Kamoun, and E.A.G. Van der Vossen. 2008. Effector genomics accelerates discovery and functional profiling of potato disease resistance and Phytophthora infestans avirulence genes. Plos One 3: 10.

-2. van der Vossen, E., A. Sikkema, B.T.L. Hekkert, J. Gros, P. Stevens, M. Muskens, D. Wouters, A. Pereira, W. Stiekema, and S. Allefs. 2003. An ancient R gene from the wild potato species Solanum bulbocastanum confers broad-spectrum resistance to Phytophthora infestans in cultivated potato and tomato. Plant J. 36: 867-882.

I don't know if this happened due to something I did or if the lower case "van" throws Zotero off.
  • ok, thanks, I'll let you know when 2 and 3 are fixed
    I'd think the sorting in your example is correct - commonly, name prefixes such as von and van aren't considered when sorting.
  • edited July 16, 2012
    the period is fixed.
    You're actually wrong about number three - the style guide isn't clear, but checking the journals, in text citations should be sorted by date, not by author name, so I've not changed that.

edit: deleted part that no longer applies.
  • the missing dependent styles are now up.
  • I realize this thread is pretty old. This citation style is way out of date. I have figured out how to correct the style, but I can only save a personal file onto my computer and use it that way. How could I update the public versions? This has been an issue for at least 3 years with this style...
  • You could post a link to your file here and we can do it, if you want.