ISBN Look Up Tool Not Working

Is anyone else experiencing the same bug?
  • What version of Zotero? What version of Firefox? What operating system? Do any ISBNs work? Can you provide an error report ID?
  • Zotero Standalone Alpha on Mac. What is an error report ID?
  • edited March 6, 2011
    It has never worked for me either. I am on Linux Ubuntu 10.10 and obviously I dont use Firefox since the tread is for Standalone Alpha. I just get a waiting icon...

...the error ID is: 352219742. It refers to 'no translator in use in Chromium', which was up and running and it has a working connector.

Hope this might help.
  • Can you provide a debug ID for an attempt to look up an ISBN? See http://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output
  • just to make sure you got the error ID which I found later on:

...the error ID is: 352219742. It refers to 'no translator in use in Chromium', which was up and running and it has a working connector.
  • edited March 6, 2011
    note that debug and error ID aren't the same. ajlyon will need the former for translator troubleshooting.
  • But still, maybe that error ID is enough. I'll install standalone again and see what I can do.
  • uncaught exception: Translate: Failed: no translator specified
    For starters, upgrade to 2.1a3. You have 2.1a2.
  • SOLVED, well done! the upgrading did the trick.

BTW, is it possible to include some sort of automatic upgrading, since SA doesn't require Firefox, maybe for Ubuntu a line in the repository package?

Many thanks
  • Zotero itself will probably not issue a .deb, but there is talk within the debian community to compile and add Z standalone (and then, presumably, add it to the repositories).
    Regardless of this, I'd expect standalone to have an update reminder like most comparable software in the final version.
  • I have the same problem, but now with Zotero 3.0 beta in Windows 7.

When I try to add an ISBN in Zotero for firefox, it just sits there and doesn't do anything when I hit enter. When I try to add one in Z standalone, it brings up a message complaining "Zotero could not find a record for the specified identifier. Please verify the identifier and try again."
    I've tried a few different ISBN's including War and Peace so it is not that my book is not in the database.
  • No need to report this further - it's clear that there is a general problem. If you want to receive updates you can subscribe to this thread on the left (if you've posted you're already subscribed)..
  • The reason I added my comment is that I wanted to catch the attention of the admins, just in case they thought this problem was solved (see pacard's post above)
  • uh - I got confused with the threads. This one should be closed as the issue described has indeed been solved.
    The relevant one with multiple recent error reports is here:
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/11169/add-item-by-identifier-isbn-broken/#Item_26
This discussion has been closed.