citation style for drag and drop RTF scan

Is there a citation style that comes out in the format recognized by RTF scan?

Currently Zotero will allow me to drop in in-text citations into a document (in a program without a plug-in), but none of the current citations styles has it in the format of {Smith, 2011} need for RTF scan - generally there is something within that style, such as a period after the author name that messes up RTF scan

Anyone know of a style meeting the RTF specifications?
  • This is something I'd like to know the answer to as well, hopefully we get a good one. :)
  • doesn't currently exist. If there is really demand it's not very hard to do, though.
  • I've just made one but the curly braces are being turned into regular () in use. Anyone have a smart programming solution for me?
    BTW, if you are who I think you are, hi dadalu!
    -Shawnna
  • Fixed the problem.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/449644793/RTF-Scan-Dragdrop.csl
    Drag the file into a firefox window and hit install. Happy trails.
  • I'll put some version of this on the repository soon.
  • edited February 28, 2011
    Hi Shawnna! Thank you very much for the new style!
  • I just tried this out in google docs and it works perfectly for journal articles!

Would there be a way to modify the in-text citation for items other than journal articles to be something more distinct but still recognizable for RTF?

For example, for my coursework, we cite heavily from a drug reference (AHFS). Currently ALL monographs using the new style will come out as {McEvoy, GK}. Of course the obvious solution is to add a fake date so that RTF can still link it to a zotoro item, however, I usually need to work with large numbers of monographs a time and adding a random date begins to get awkward, especially if I plan to use this with other group members.

Ideas?
  • I think I've figured out a work-around for real time collaboration and citing sources beyond just primary articles. I'll post the full solution soon.
  • Hi adamsmith,
    have you created a style for this specific purpose? What is the name of the style?
    would be a great help and allow using scrivener !
  • I don't think it ever made it into the repository, but you can install this one
    http://rapidshare.com/files/449644793/RTF-Scan-Dragdrop.csl
  • thanks - I'll take that up soon, sorry it slipped through the cracks.
  • edited November 15, 2011
    Great! Just tried to use Zotero with Scrivener and now it is nearly as simple as using the ms word plugin. Thanks!!!

Here a short description of my approach of using scrivener and zotero:
    1)Zotero: Install RTF-Scan-Dragdrop (Thanks to hipersons)
    2)Zotero: Choose RTF Scan Style under export default style. Under: Preferences/Export
    3) Scrivener: Select Zotero as Bibliography / Citation Manager. Under:Scrivener/Preferences/General.
    4) Every time you like to cite in Scrivener use shortcut "cmd-Y" or under format bibliography. Zotero will show up
    5)Hold shilft and drag the citation you like from zotero into your text in scrivener
    6) when you finished your text in scrivener compile it as RTF
    7) use the Zotero function "RTF scan" under Tools
    yipiiiiiii :)
  • OK, a style is now up - it will do the same as the one hipersons supplied, but I updated it to csl 1.0 and stripped out anything that wasn't strictly necessary.

As a note of warning - RTF scan still has some significant limits and hasn't received any developer attention for years. Be prepared to have to spend some time checking and fixing up a document after using it.