How do I link standalone alpha to existing database

I've installed the standalone alpha. Scanning the forums I'm not finding any simple explanation of how to connect the standalone version to the database created with the Firefox version.

Since this is an alpha, and I gather still with many kinks to be worked out, I'm not looking to switch over to the standalone version completely. I would like to continue relying on the FireFox version for entering items, doing searches, and managing the database. At this point I'm primarily interested in following the development of the standalone version as it progresses.

That's OK?

Thanks.
  • I think this is covered at the bottom of the standalone page on the zotero site:

http://www.zotero.org/support/standalone

You can either point zotero SA to the existing firefox database, but then you can't have both open together making changes. Or you can maintain two completely separate instances and let both sync independently, which is how I have it set up now. It takes a bit more disk space, but I felt more confident installing it that way.
  • Thanks.

I see on checking that zotero SA is compatible only with 2.1 beta versions of zotero for Firefox. I'm tempted to try the beta -- my database is small at this point, and not in very active use at the moment -- but am a little wary.

Not sure what I'll do, but thanks again.
  • I experienced a similar problem. If you create a free zotero storage account and then "sync" your database in Firefox and then "sync" in the standalone, all of your stuff will appear in the SA.
  • jhmuculak - I don't understand how that's a problem?
  • adamsmith--when I installed the SA it asked me if I wanted to use the current firefox database. It _seemed_ like I could simply open up SA and it would pull information from the Firefox database--but, neither database would share data. I couldn't even "import" data (after exporting from firefox) into the SA version. This "problem" was solved when I set up sync and my firefox data populated my SA database. With sync enabled, both databases seem to be behaving quite nicely together.
  • oh ok - so the problem was the lack of syncing before, not the syncing now.
    And I take it, just as for Eric, that was because you're still using 2.0.9 in Firefox?
  • Nope. Zotero 2.1b6; Firefox 4.0b11; Macbook Pro 2.16GHz, OSX 10.6.6; Syncing now works fine (over zotero sync). When I installed the SA, I could not "import" citations no matter what I did. I only got a populated SA database by signing up for a sync account and going that route.
  • We don't recommend using syncing to keep Zotero for Firefox and Zotero Standalone in sync—it's pretty inefficient, in terms of time, data transfer, and disk space. But it is a way to sync 2.0.9 and Standalone.
  • sharing files between the two sounds safe; thinking about trying it
  • Safe if the 2.1 beta version of Zotero for Firefox is safe. I get the sense it is. What are the likely risks?
  • 2.1 Beta is very close to 2.1 Final, so, not many.
  • edited February 19, 2011
    I don't think there are any "likely" risks left.
    The biggest risk is that something won't work correctly in the beta for a while (could be any number of things - some aspect of citations, for example) and you won't be able to go back to the stable 2.0, because the database has been upgraded. Especially if you're working on projects with approaching deadlines, this is a risk that's hard to overstate - I do not use 2.1b at this time because of that.

My sense is that the chance for database corruption is tiny at this point - it's always a good idea to have good backups, though, especially when working with beta software, some automatic, regular back-up is highly recommended.

edit: I'll let this stand, as I think it's still reasonable advice, but take Dan's as the official pronouncement.