A numeric APA style??

I am writing a paper for a proceeding and they describe in its template this kind of bibliography
"Use a numbered list at the end of the article, ordered alphabetically and formatted following APA format style."
Here is an example:
[1] Bowman, M., Debray, S. K., and Peterson, L. L. 1993. Reasoning about Naming Systems. ACM Trans. Program. Lang. Syst. 15, 5 (Nov. 1993), 795-825. DOI= http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/161468.16147.

and They also put numerical citation inside the text, not author and year as APA style I do not know how to make it work. There is a way that APA style can be numeric?? I try to use IEEE style but it is different and the authors in the bibliography does not appear in alphabetical order. Any help please.
  • No, there is no numeric APA style - and also this isn't APA style, which would be:

Bowman, M., Debray, S. K., & Peterson, L. L. (1993). Reasoning about Naming Systems. ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems, 15, 795-825. doi: 10.1145/161468.16147

You can see if you find something similar in the repository - or you may need to change or request a style.
  • Thanks very much. There is any way I can create a style like this?
  • Nice! In the final phase of building citeproc-js, I had the idea of such a style (numeric in-text references, bib sorted alphabetically) as a kind of torture test for the code base; it will only work if the processing sequence is exactly right.

What is fun about the concept is that such a style is practicable only with electronic document processing; every time you insert a new reference, it will change reference numbers at random locations all over the document. It would drive you nuts trying to do the copy editing by hand.

The processor is designed to cope with it; I guess we'll find out whether it fulfills its promise. Let's hope so. :)
  • I just found out that this exact style is the ACM SIG proceedings. Thanks very much
  • Glad you've found it! It would be a computer science journal. :)
  • Presumably this is for the proceedings of ACM SIGBIBTEX-EVANGELISTS.