Word plug-in incompatible with Zotero.

I upgraded today to Zotero 1.0.2. I restarted Firefox and confirmed that correct version is installed.
I installed Word plug-in using Windows installer from your site some hours ago. I opened Word and realize I could not anymore insert citations. A message appears saying Word plug-in is not compatible with Firefox Zotero extension. I downloaded Zotero-Word-Plugin-1.0b2-Win.zip from your site some minutes ago and replaced old file manually. I restarted my Windows (XP).
I am using Word 2002.

Can you help me with this?

Congratulations for your useful program.
  • edited January 8, 2008
    Just to piggyback on the previous comment, I am having the same problem with Zotero 1.0.2 and the Word plug-in 1.0b2.
  • The 1.0b2 plugins available on the site should definitely be compatible with Zotero 1.0.2. Please remove the Zotero.dot file from your Startup directory (see the manual installation instructions for help finding it if necessary), restart Word to make sure the plugin is no longer loaded, and then reinstall the plugin.
  • Thanks for your confirmation about compatibility. I now realized that Windows installer created itself a folder named “startup”, but as my MSOffice is in Portuguese, startup directory has another name.

Everything works fine now.

Again congratulations for your work.
  • I'm having the same problem on OS X with Word 2004: "The 1.0b2 plugins available on the site should definitely be compatible with Zotero 1.0.2." but I can't get it to work.

"Please remove the Zotero.dot file from your Startup directory (see the manual installation instructions for help finding it if necessary), restart Word to make sure the plugin is no longer loaded, and then reinstall the plugin."

Done that in various combinations but still getting the citation error message saying Word plug-in is not compatible with Firefox Zotero extension
  • Solving my own problem, Dan is of course correct that the latest 1.0b2 Word plugin available on the site is compatible with Zotero 1.0.2. My problem was that Firefox stated (just below the tool bar) that it was preventing the Zotero upgrade. Because I'd repeatedly checked for Zotero updates in the Tool/Add ins menu, I assumed I was using the latest Zotero when I wasn't.

The solution was to use another web browser (Safari) to download and update Zotero to 1.0.2.

Hope that is helpful to others.
  • Hi,

I'm having rather peculiar problems with the Word plug-in. I've downloaded Zotero 1.0.2 and I downloaded the new Word plugin. When I first used it to set document preferences I got the message 'An error occurred communicating with Zotero. Please ensure Firefox is open and try again'. I use portable Firefox and it was open and I made sure it was the latest version of Zotero. Following the advice above I removed and then manually reinstalled the Word plugin. This seemed to do the trick as when in a blank Word document the preferences window opened. However, when I loaded the actual document that I had been working on a couple of weeks ago with Zotero references in it, I got the same error message as above. Advice please.
  • RickS: Please see http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/1615/ and try some of the suggested solutions there (Report Errors, looking for missing items...), and repost your message there if you're unable to solve it.
  • My problem was that Firefox stated (just below the tool bar) that it was preventing the Zotero upgrade.
    This is explained in the installation instructions linked to below the Download button. No need to use another browser to install.
  • edited January 11, 2008
    I now realized that Windows installer created itself a folder named “startup”, but as my MSOffice is in Portuguese, startup directory has another name.
    Dan, this issue has come up a few times. To find the correct installation path, Microsoft's documentation suggests you should just add the string "\Microsoft\Word\Startup\" to the application data path (the latter you can easily retrieve in NSIS via $APPDATA). However, for localized copies of Word, the "Startup" folder name is translated into the local language. For a localized version of Word, the current installer script creates the non-existing "Startup"-folder and copies the Zotero.dot file to this folder. The installer reports that the installation finished correctly, but Word won't recognize the plugin.

I changed the installer script I downloaded from Trac. It contains an ugly goto statement, but it gets the job done. It now prevents the creation of a "Startup"-folder if it is not present, and informs the user the installation has failed because the correct installation folder could not be found. I uploaded the new script at the Zotero-dev group:
    http://groups.google.com/group/zotero-dev/web/Test_Installer_Word_Win.nsi

As of yet I've only found two ways by which one can correctly identify the startup-path, one via VBA, one via .Net. You probably don't want to rely on the latter, but you could build an installer in VBA (the installer would then become a Word document with an installation macro). But I don't know if this is more trouble than it's worth.
  • Thanks Rintze. I've checked your changes into SVN and updated the Windows installer with a new build from that script.

Just to be safe: we're sure that the Startup folder is created by the MS installer, yes? As in, this change won't prevent installation on a fresh install of Word with no other plugins?
  • I'm pretty sure that a fresh install of Word already contains the Startup folder. So the installer should never have to create it.
  • I'm also getting the incompatibility problem and have tried the various fixes suggested above, but without success. This is a pity as Zotero has great potential - I wish I'd discovered it sooner (but it's not good if it doesn't work!!!)
  • I'm also getting the incompatibility problem and have tried the various fixes suggested above, but without success. This is a pity as Zotero has great potential - I wish I'd discovered it sooner (but it's not good if it doesn't work!!!)
    Again, this is not a problem with Zotero. You're not running the latest version of either Zotero or the Word plugin. Make sure you have Zotero 1.0.2 (go to About Zotero under the Actions (gear icon) menu to check), and if you do, you'll have to find and remove the existing outdated Zotero.dot file on your system that's causing the incompatibility message, start Word to make sure the toolbar is gone, and then reinstall the plugin.
  • Like others, I upgraded both Zotero to 1.0.2 and the Word plug-in to 1.0.b2 and got an error message saying Zotero couldn't communicate with Firefox when I tried to enter a footnote. I am running Firefox 2.0.0.11, Word 2004 for Mac version 11.2, and Mac OS 10.5.1 (Leopard). For the time being, I have reverted to Zotero 1.0.1 and the previous Word plug-in by adapting for Word joehill's directions on how to do this for OpenOffice under "openoffice-extension-no-connection-with-firefox."