Sync has not worked for several weeks

Hello Dan,
Thank you for your ongoing support for those of us with sync challenges.
I've been unable to sync from my laptop (mac) for about two weeks now. Every morning, I turn my computer on, start firefox, and open Zotero. The sync arrow spins for 12 hours or more, without ever completing a sync. I restart firefox every day, and I leave it on all day in hopes that it will complete a sync.

My PC syncs every day, but does not get any updated information from my laptop because the laptop has not synced for several weeks.

Any suggestions?
  • Three identical download processes of yours have finished on the server in the last few days, including two yesterday, and you have another identical one queued now. When they complete they might cause Firefox to stall briefly—are you sure you're not, say, force-quitting Firefox because you think it's frozen?
  • edited January 31, 2011
    Firefox has been operating fine- I haven't experienced any stalling. Zotero from my end looks like it hasn't synced at all for about two weeks on my laptop.

The green arrow spins, and when I hover the cursor over it, the message is "Getting updated data from the sync server"

What's the next step for troubleshooting?

Thanks!
  • Enable debug output in the Advanced pane of the Zotero preferences and post here once you do.
  • It is now enabled.
  • Your sync should have just completed, and on the server side I see the download data having been picked up by the client.

Go back to the Advanced pane of the preferences and disable debug output. If the sync icon is still spinning, submit that debug output and provide a Debug ID. If the submission doesn't go through, click View Output, use File->Save As to save the output as a text file, zip the text file (right-click, ...), and e-mail it to support@zot....org with a link to this thread.
  • If the icon is spinning, also see if you can provide a Report ID.
  • The arrow briefly stopped spinning, but then I got a message about conflicts. I clicked the arrow to deal with those conflicts, and we're back to the spinning arrow.
    I was unable to submit the debug output directly through zotero, so I am emailing it with a report ID as you suggested.

Thanks.
  • The debug output you sent merely indicates that you had an automatic sync that produced conflicts, which requires you to click the sync icon manually to resolve it.

We've put in place a caching mechanism that should make repeated identical downloads instantaneous, which should help in your case. Your next sync may still take a while, but the one after that (if the data in your libraries doesn't change) should be instantaneous, which should make debugging (if necessary) much easier.

Try again, and let us know what happens.