Record number from EndNote to Zotero

I transfer my database from EndNote to Zotero, but I have the impression the record number in EndNote , which is very useful for me as all my articles printed are classifed with this number, have not been imported.
Does anyone now if i can imported it?
  • I think that this has been discussed before. You can use the call number field instead. Is the record number in your exported file?
  • I am not entirely sure. The first question is whether or not Endnote is exporting those numbers in the RIS or BibTeX file you are trying to import. To find this out open up the .ris or .bib files with a text editor and see if you can find the numbers. If it's not exporting the numbers there is little that can be done on the Zotero end. If it is you should be able to do a simple find and replace for whatever Endnote is using to signify the number with one of the fields that maps to Zotero's extra field. For example if you are using RIS to transfer the info you could use the M1 field which maps to Zotero's extra field.
  • I transfer my database from EndNote to Zotero, but I have the impression the record number in EndNote , which is very useful for me as all my articles printed are classifed with this number, have not been imported.
    It's a really bad idea to build a filing system around what is in effect an internal database number. You might consider transitioning away from that as you can.
  • Hi
    I had to do this too. Not my idea, but I had to..
    The solution is actually fairly easy; Endnote lets you modify the export-styles... I found it in another forum at http://lists.adeptscience.co.uk/endnote/endnote_May_2005/thid_33c907d9702deba10ea00fc94a8dfc26.html

Step-By-Step-Instruction:
    - in Endnote, go to Edit/OutputStyles/OpenStyleManager
    - select EndNote Export, rightclick, edit Style
    - before changing anything, save it under another name
    - Under Bibliography, Templates, you can see the output of this style. Find the %L - Entry and replace 'Call Number' with 'Record Number'
    - save
    - choose this style to export and import in Zotero

Hope it helps. Cheers, and thanks to the folks at the EndNoteListArchive, you guys made my day :)
  • Possible Alternative: exporting via RefMan(RIS) exports EndNotes RecordNumber as "ID". This is not recognized in the import, but if you happen to know what the field should be called correctly you could edit the export-file and search-replace "ID" with that fielname.
    For me this doesn't work, if I export all References in this Format Zotero will throw an import error. Somehow the RefManRIS File is corrupt... It only works for exports with a few references at a time.
  • if I export all References in this Format Zotero will throw an import error.
    Send the file to support@zot....org, and we'll take a look. (Alternatively, you can find the individual record in the file that's failing and just post that, but we can probably find it more quickly.)
  • Thanks for your offer! I sent them to you a while ago; did you get them? (I sent them as ch....e...@f.. :)
  • According to
    https://www.zotero.org/trac/browser/extension/trunk/translators/RIS.js
    (line 36), the "ID" field is mapped to "itemID" on the import. Any chance of somehow displaying this itemID in Zotero?
  • other question, same goal: what could I replace the *ID* tag with, so Zotero will put the ID-Value into the Call-Nr.-Field?
  • I'm going to keep repeating this: using internal database numbers (like Endnote IDs) as the basis of a filing system is a really bad idea.

It's even worse to be hacking Zotero to be sticking these data in other fields, which are not designed to hold that data.
  • thanks, I've seen your comment above already. I mostly agree with you, but wether or not it is a good idea to try preserving those numbers in zotero you must leave up to me (knowing the situation and the alternatives).
  • It is up to you, but I just don't want others to later read this thread and think it's a good idea ;-)

FWIW, I do think Zotero should add some explicit support for user IDs and labels, and to in general do a better job distinguishing user data from reference data, but we're clearly not there yet.
  • So I see this has gone a bit cold, but I had the same issue, Google brought me here (so it MUST be true!) and I needed to spend some time trying to figure it out. Its now 2am, and I have failed, but here's info to stop you repeating the dead-ends I've hit.

(Wrestling with End(-of-days-)note X2, and a large library approaching 3000 records).

First pass, very similar to haddock's suggestion in 2008.

Opened RIS output style for editing, ("save as" first, just in case...), then in each ref type of the bibliography inserted "CN - `Record Number|". ("CN" is the RIS field tag for call number). Unfortunately, Endnote itself doesn't follow this faithfully even though I used its own "insert field" command to do so. The txt file shows "CN - `Record Number|" for some records, but others correctly, e.g. "CN - 2981". It also inserted line breaks between the CN field and the ER field, even though I was careful to follow its format when editing the style. Interesting.

Also interesting is that Zotero will label some as having a call number 0000, others 0001, 0002, etc, (maybe 5-20 each, with less of them the higher the call number value it assigns), throw a few call numbers in that actually look like the ID number I was trying for, and list absolutely nothing for the vast bulk of the rest.

I can also tell you that trying to delete these and other failed imports, and emptying the trash, have frequently cause Firefox to freeze, crash once so badly I needed ctl+alt+del, and a couple of times just have to restart firefox. For the last, I recommend you install a firefox add-on that installs a restart button (search add-ons with "restart").

Second pass: Have also attempted to edit the txt file in MS Word, but also failed so far. I tried find-and-replace (ctl+H), substituting "ID " with "CD " (the double space stops me screwing up words or "ID" acronyms in the records). Its done the same thing as above.

This suggests that a) Word is doing something weird to the text file that replicates the error described above, which seems unlikely or b) apart from Endnote not recognizing its own code, Zotero itself has a problem importing anything in the CN field, (or at least CN values that are a straight four digits).

In fact, my computer was running extremely slow when trying to import them (I'm writing this in Chrome browser).

This IS the 6th time I've imported the library tonight. I've deleted the records each time, but... I wonder if there is a problem with records be compared and filtered against something on a Zotero server? When I tried to empty the trash, Firefox froze so badly I had to ctl+alt+del to get out.

Anyone got more recent, functioning ideas?

B
  • Unfortunately, Endnote itself doesn't follow this faithfully even though I used its own "insert field" command to do so. The txt file shows "CN - `Record Number|" for some records, but others correctly, e.g. "CN - 2981". It also inserted line breaks between the CN field and the ER field, even though I was careful to follow its format when editing the style.
    To avoid any confusion, this is not the best place to address EndNote issues. They have their own support mechanisms that you should use to get the export correct. But you might check to see if the inconsistencies are type-dependent or have some other pattern to them.
    Also interesting is that Zotero will label some as having a call number 0000, others 0001, 0002, etc, (maybe 5-20 each, with less of them the higher the call number value it assigns), throw a few call numbers in that actually look like the ID number I was trying for, and list absolutely nothing for the vast bulk of the rest.
    I don't follow. Can you include a minimal example of an RIS record or two that fail to import correctly & explain both how they should and how they actually import?
    When I tried to empty the trash, Firefox froze so badly I had to ctl+alt+del to get out.
    Why did you "have to"? It is likely that they would eventually be removed. 3000+ records is a lot to be importing and deleting multiple times. I suggest that you start with smaller batches until you think that you have EndNote generating the files that you want it to & that Zotero is importing them correctly.
  • Hi noksagt, thanks for getting back to me on this. Hopefully this reply will answer you questions and you might [written gratefully!] help me get past this hurdle.

I really don't care for Endote (E) save to get past the exporting problem into Zotero (Z), but I take your point. Unfortunately, I can't find any pattern, and I am pretty sure now this is a Z problem.

I can get an export of 2812 records in RIS format. I can do a find-and-replace of all record numbers ("ID") to label them "CN" no problem. The, after Zotero chews through that large load, it lists, say, the first 20 or 50 references as having call number 0000. Then there's another bunch that come in as having call number 0001. Then another (less of them) having call number 0002. And so on until the teens, where it seems to peter out to just a couple of duplicates (e.g. only two records having call number 0015), and then it starts using (what I assume are) the original CN values from the corrected export file (they look right).

I tried your advice on doing things in batches. I chose a little over 200 records, did the same as above, and then ran into the same problem. Here's a sample of two from the RIS export that will display as call number 0000.

TY - JOUR
    AU - Jørgensen, LL
    AU - Primicerio, R
    PY - 2007
    TI - Impact scenario for the invasive red king crab Paralithodes camtschaticus (Tilesius, 1815)(Reptantia, Lithodidae) on Norwegian, native, epibenthic prey
    SP - 47-54
    JF - Hydrobiologia
    VL - 590
    IS - 1
    N1 - Impact scenario for the invasive red king crab Paralithodes camtschaticus (Tilesius, 1815)(Reptantia, Lithodidae) on Norwegian, native, epibenthic prey
    PM - PMCID
    CN - 2880
    ER -
    TY - ADVS
    AU - Al Jazeera
    PY - 2010
    TI - Malaysia: Killer bite
    N1 - 101 East
    N1 - Al Jazeera
    Y2 - 21 October
    UR - http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/101east/2010/10/2010101275343405218.html
    CN - 2879
    ER -

Also, as a request-to-developers, I'd suggest a right-click option to stop the syncing process. I can start it, but once its in train, I can't see a way to cancel.

Regards 'have to' c+a+del out of FFox, it was a case of the whole program being frozen for several minutes. Perhaps, as you suggest, it just needed time for such a large batch.

Advice and wisdom gratefully received.

B
  • I don't think that CN is a real tag (i.e., not in the Refman spec, not in the Zotero RIS translator, not in the wikipedia article on RIS). If you just need to get it into the record, change the tag to M1 or M2, and it will go into the Extra field in Zotero.
  • aha! I gleaned it from another forum thread somewhere (nope, no idea where), but can't recall, and very likely got confused. Just looked and can't find it either.

This doesn't explain, however, the numbering 'system' that Zotero DOES come up with. That is puzzling. Why work for some, not others?

The problem with tagging it as M1 or M2 is that I wish to sort the Zotero library by the Endnote record number to aid with transition (that's how my mind works in navigating the references). Unfortunately, I can't see any way to get it to do so.

Another note to developers: being able to sort records by more fields than just given in Zotero now would be great.

Cheers aj

B
  • you can sort by many fields (click on the little table icon on the top right of the middle panel)- just the "extra" field isn't included for some reason. For what it's worth I really think it should be
  • So you're saying that the import puts the sequential numbers in the Call Number field? That's very odd, since the RIS translator doesn't even touch that field (since RIS has no way of specifying a call number).
  • right, need to go to bed badly, so the risk of making a stupid error is quite elevated. However.

AJ - Yup! There is indeed some funny sort of sequence stuff going into the Call Number field, only after I have modified the exported RIS .txt file. (With the cavet on lots of 0000, 0001 and so on before we start seeing what look like real numbers, as stated above).

I've just imported an UNmodified version of the whole library, and all the Call Number fields are empty.

If you send me your e-mail, I can send you a copy of the files I have used. Maybe there's an obvious explanation that I am just not getting. Note, however, that I have not cross referenced the call numbers that LOOK right in the Z library with those in the E library, but a) the numbers didn't seem to go any higher than the E record numbers, and b) a cursory glance at the record and its Z Call Number seemed right (i.e. "yeah, 523... That's about the time I was looking at Smith and Wesson"). I can check tomorrow, but I'm pretty confident.

adamsmith - yup, got that one, cheers. But I think we are in agreement about its extension in future versions. Please. (Of course, Mr. Smith, now that I have you here, I am inclined to take you to task over this 'economics' thing you've started...)

B
  • The two entries above imported fine for me. You can send me a chunk of entries that replicates the issue-- my email address is posted on my forum profile.
  • Hi AJ - sorry for the delay. E-mail sent.

Thanks again

B