Same author different year citations appear out of order in bibliography

Hi I'm using Zotero 2.0 and the word toolbar/plugin with Word 2003 on Windows XP. When I generate a bibliography multiple citations for the same author appear out of order, as in the example below. I am using a version of chicago (author date) modified so that disambiguation is switched off. However the problem also appears when I refresh in other styles. If anybody has an idea of how to fix this I would be grateful. Any replies in simple language please I am relatively inexperienced with computers etc.
Cheers
Martin
Example:
Bourdieu, Pierre. 1990. The logic of practice. Cambridge, UK; Oxford, UK: Polity Press : B. Blackwell.
---. 1985. The Social Space and the Genesis of Groups. Theory and Society 14, no. 6: 723-744.
---. 1986. The Forms of Capital. In Handbook of Theory and Research for the Sociology of Education, ed. John G. Richardson, 241-258. New York: Greenwood Press.
---. 1984. Distinction : a social critique of the judgement of taste. Cambridge Mass.: Harvard University Press.
  • Are you running Zotero 2.0.8?
  • No, it's 2.0.6
  • Bingo. There were sorting issues in 2.0.6. Upgrading should heal things up.
  • Yes, I've just upgraded and it's fixed the problem. Again thanks to all for your help.
    Cheers
    Martin
  • I have a similar problem with 2.0.9. I use it with the Word plugin and the `Copernicus' style.

For my article, I use four papers with the same first author. According to the demands of the journal I intend to submit to (http://www.atmospheric-chemistry-and-physics.net/submission/manuscript_preparation.html), the labels should look like this:

(Rhee et al., 2004)
    The paper on CH4 oxidation (Rhee et al., 2006a)
    The paper on soils (Rhee et al., 2006b)
    (Rhee et al., 2008)

And the bibliography like this:

Rhee, T. S., Mak, J., Röckmann, T. and Brenninkmeijer, C. A. M.: Continuous-flow isotope analysis of the deuterium/hydrogen ratio in atmospheric hydrogen, Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrom., 18(3), 299-306, doi:10.1002/rcm.1309, 2004.

Rhee, T. S., Brenninkmeijer, C. A. M., Braß, M. and Brühl, C.: Isotopic composition of H2 from CH4 oxidation in the stratosphere and the troposphere, J. Geophys. Res., 111, 14 PP., doi:200610.1029/2005JD006760, 2006a.

Rhee, T. S., Brenninkmeijer, C. A. M. and Röckmann, T.: The overwhelming role of soils in the global atmospheric hydrogen cycle, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 6(6), 1611-1625, 2006b.

Rhee, T. S., Brenninkmeijer, C. A. M. and Röckmann, T.: Hydrogen isotope fractionation in the photolysis of formaldehyde, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 8(5), 1353-1366, 2008.

However, I get this for the labels:

(Rhee et al., 2004)
    The paper on CH4 oxidation (Rhee et al., 2006)
    The paper on soils (Rhee et al., 2006)
    (Rhee et al., 2008)

And this for the bibliography:

Rhee, T. S., Brenninkmeijer, C. A. M. and Röckmann, T.: The overwhelming role of soils in the global atmospheric hydrogen cycle, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 6(6), 1611-1625, 2006.

Rhee, T. S., Brenninkmeijer, C. A. M. and Röckmann, T.: Hydrogen isotope fractionation in the photolysis of formaldehyde, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 8(5), 1353-1366, 2008.

Rhee, T. S., Brenninkmeijer, C. A. M., Braß, M. and Brühl, C.: Isotopic composition of H2 from CH4 oxidation in the stratosphere and the troposphere, J. Geophys. Res., 111, 14 PP., doi:200610.1029/2005JD006760, 2006.

Rhee, T. S., Mak, J., Röckmann, T. and Brenninkmeijer, C. A. M.: Continuous-flow isotope analysis of the deuterium/hydrogen ratio in atmospheric hydrogen, Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrom., 18(3), 299-306, doi:10.1002/rcm.1309, 2004.

So the bibliography is in the wrong order, and the papers from the same year do not get the appropriate `a' or `b' added to the year. These problems are probably related.

I have a suspicion that Zotero may not recognize the first author correctly, but I cannot find any difference in the `author' fields in the entries in the library.

The adding of `a' and `b' has worked for other papers before. I tried different styles, but that doesn't solve this sorting problem.

I would be very grateful if someone could give me a clue on how to solve this, as I was rather hoping to avoid manually ordering and editing my bibliography (I'm using Zotero to save time after all).

Cheers,

Anneke
  • edited December 6, 2010
    The sorting is per the style - it sorts by author, then by date.
    switch the first two items around in the <sort> section of the bibliography to change that,
    i.e. turn this
    <sort>
    <key macro="author"/>
    <key macro="year-date"/>
    <key variable="title"/>
    </sort>
    into this
    <sort>
    <key macro="year-date"/>
    <key macro="author"/>
    <key variable="title"/>
    </sort>

see here for instructions
    http://www.zotero.org/support/csl_simple_edits

That will take care of the other issue, too.
    (Though technically that 2nd one is a bug - but since you want the bibliography ordered by date anyway that doesn't matter here). Since it's very rare and fixed in the current beta I don't think this should concern us further.

edit: oh wait that doesn't work - you'd want the bibliography by author in general, of course. uhm - I don't know then...
  • see my edit/postscript above - so we know why this is, but I don't have a solution at the moment.
  • Just a note about the current beta. In CSL 1.0, you can control the number of names at any level, including cs:key nodes. Here, you could set a single author name as primary key, with the year as secondary key, and finished up by year-suffix disambiguation.

Frank
  • anneke - depending on where you are with your research you could consider installing the beta version of Zotero, which has the csl 1.0 that Frank mentions and which would fix this issue.
  • I'm having trouble getting secondary sorting to work in a new style I'm writing for the Journal of Anatomy. In-text citations should be sorted by year then author, and the bibliography by author then year. Both citations and bibliography do the primary sort fine, but aren't affected by secondary sort keys. This is on Zotero 2.1b5, Firefox 3.6.13, Ubuntu 10.10.

<citation>
    <sort>
    <key variable="issued" sort="ascending"/>
    <key macro="author-short" sort="ascending" />
    </sort>
    </citation>
    <bibliography>
    <sort>
    <key macro="author" />
    <key variable="issued" sort="ascending"/>
    </sort>
    </bibliography>
  • My experience is the same: the sorting seems unaffected by the secondary key.
  • edited February 23, 2011
    A simple test for this passes in the processor. Can you upload an offending style as a github gist, and post the url back here?

http://gist.github.com/

(Edit: One thing to check, with respect to citations in the style code posted by mdoube, is whether the data contains differing month or day values. When sorting dates as a raw variable, the entire date will be included in the sort, not just the portion of it that is rendered.)
  • https://gist.github.com/840414

Does this work?
  • After stripping out the hyphens between the lines, the style validates. Those are not your runtime copy, I hope.

To test, I converted the style to CSL 1.0 (which Zotero will do internally). I then threw the following data at it, and got the following results:

>> Citation

Data: Jane Roe 1996 / Jane Roe 1995
    Result:
    (Roe, 1995; 1996)

>> Bibliography

Data: Jane Roe 1996 / Jane Roe 1995
    Result:
    <div class="csl-bib-body">
    <div class="csl-entry">Roe, J., 1995.</div>
    <div class="csl-entry">Roe, J., 1996.</div>
    </div>

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like the processor is working okay.
  • Ehm, but in my (Word) bibliography for example the following papers are sorted wrongly:

Rahn, T., Eiler, J. M., Boering, K. A., Wennberg, P. O., McCarthy, M. C., Tyler, S., Schauffler, S., Donnelly, S. and Atlas, E. Extreme deuterium enrichment in stratospheric hydrogen and the global atmospheric budget of H₂, Nature, 424, 918-921, 2003.

Rahn, T., Eiler, J. M., Kitchen, N., Fessenden, J. E. and Randerson, J. T. Concentration and δD of molecular hydrogen in boreal forests: Ecosystem-scale systematics of atmospheric H2, Geophys. Res. Lett., 29(18), 1888, 2002a.

Rahn, T., Kitchen, N. and Eiler, J. D/H ratios of atmospheric H2 in urban air: results using new methods for analysis of nano-molar H2 samples, Geochim. Cosmochim. Ac., 66(14), 2475-2481, doi:10.1016/S0016-7037(02)00858-X, 2002b.

According to the Copernicus Publications Reference Types list, these should have been sorted by first author, then by year, then by second order (http://www.atmospheric-chemistry-and-physics.net/submission/manuscript_preparation.html).

How are these handled by the processor?
  • that's a different issue though - they are sorted correctly by author - namely the 2nd or third authors (Boering before Kitchen, Eiler before Kitchen). You want to sort by _first_ author, which is possible in Zotero 2.1, instructions here:
    http://citationstyles.org/downloads/specification.html#sorting
  • oh - I just saw that you're actually coding this in csl 0.8 - that's probably not a good idea -
    if you're going to edit a style for 2.1, it'd be worth it to (auto) convert it to csl 1.0
    http://citationstyles.org/downloads/upgrade-notes.html#updating-csl-0-8-styles
    and work with that.
    (For reference, there is another thread related to issues with the Copernicus style, concerning a possible processor bug, which is a separate issue. Please ignore my initial post here suggesting that the threads should be merged.)
    adamsmith is right, CSL 0.8 can't cope with the sorting algorithm specified for this style; you need to use CSL 1.0. It's tricky, but the processor can handle it if the sort keys are set up correctly. There is sample code that implements this sort algorithm in this CSL 1.0 test fixture.

Essentially, you need an initial sort key that is the first author's name, so that works by the same primary author are grouped together (the style guide doesn't say this explicitly, but that is clearly what is intended). The second sort key is generated by a macro that evaluates to 1, 2 or 3, depending on whether there are 1, 2 or 3-or-more authors. Then you need a third key that includes the first author (if there is only one), the first and second authors (if there are two), or the first author only (if there are three or more). If you add a final key for the date, things should come out as expected.

In CSL 0.8, it is not possible to sort on the number of authors, which is why you need to code this one in CSL 1.0.
  • edited February 24, 2011
    Thanks, that helps a bit. Autoconverting the old Copenicus style to CSL 1.0 does not seem to work that well, but I can get the Rhee papers sorted correctly by adjusting the basic example in the CSL primer a bit so I can work from there.
    Implementing the full sorting scheme that the EGU wants seems a bit complicated for me, but I see that I can cheat a little by giving potentially problematic same-author-papers in my database a one-letter `abstract' and use that as a sort key. Since my database does not contain hundreds of such papers (yet), that is still manageable.