custom item type

Under the Info tab > Item Type I'd like to have an option to define a custom type.
I continually deal with more online publication materials that are not journal articles, are not referenced as a magazine, and are more than just a "web page". So I'd either like to create my own custom Item Type or have one such as "Online Publication".
Thanks.
  • This is always driven by how it needs to be cited and what data you need to keep. Can you provide example citations and fields that you'd need? In most cases, one of the existing types can do the trick.
  • edited January 28, 2011
    You don't need a custom type to be able to do that; just use Document or Web Page.

And if you need additional fields for those, then add the suggestion to this thread.
  • An example would be at
    http://chromatographyonline.findanalytichem.com/lcgc/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=697438&sk=&date=&pageID=

For me the issue isn't what other category can be used, but rather an accurate record of the item type. That's why I suggested some title like "Web Publication", or allowing to the user to create their own either from start, or by copying an existing item type and editing it.

But it is true, using some other existing category will work.
  • For me the issue isn't what other category can be used, but rather an accurate record of the item type. That's why I suggested some title like "Web Publication", or allowing to the user to create their own either from start, or by copying an existing item type and editing it.
    I know, but keep in mind the potential problems: how will styles know how to format your type? How will you get your data out of Zotero?

Endnote has dumb custom fields and types of this sort, and I think it creates as many problems as it solves. The better approach is to have the UI be more flexible so you can encode what you need without having to invent new types.
  • I am having an issue with the item type as well or maybe I just need to create my own citation style. I am currently using the ecology style but I have noticed that with reports, I don't have the option to have the "# of pages" it only gives me the option of "page". The citations are coming out incorrectly and it looks like it is citing a particular page like page 80 instead of 80 pages in the report.

Any suggestions?
  • shyand - that's completely unrelated - please starte a new thread in the citation style section of the forum, including information how a report should be cited correctly.
  • That won't be necessary - all I'm saying is that your reports need to have a "# of pages" option like your thesis does - so its not citing things incorrectly - they shouldn't be asking for "pages" as in a journal where you are actually dealing with hundreds and hundreds of actual pages.

I'll find a way around it - thanks so much for being sooo kind.
  • Hi i looking at APA 6 style and have to quote a computer programe, but i don't give the right output.

Here the APA 6 style says you need to reference a program like this

Comprehensice Meta-Analysis (Version 2) [computer software]. Englewood, NJ: Biostat

But if you use the field Computer program the reference comes out like

Comprehensive Meta-Analysis. (2014). (Version 2). Englewood, NJ: Biostat.

Can you change the setting so that i compute with the APA 6 style, can i change the setting?
  • edited December 4, 2014
    A more complete example would be
    Borenstein, M., Hedges, L., Higgins, J., & Rothstein, H. (2005). Comprehensive Meta-Analysis (Version 2) [Computer software]. Englewood, NJ: Biostat.
    Or
    Borenstein, M., Hedges, L., Higgins, J., & Rothstein, H. (2005). Comprehensive Meta-Analysis (Version 2) [Computer software]. Retrieved from http://www .meta-analysis.com/index.html

So I guess if you're missing the authors, we're only short "[Computer software]" part. We'll see what can be done and let you know when this gets fixed.

Also, this is unrelated to the topic, so please follow up in a new thread
  • OK..... Just one short comment here... The APA stylebook do not want the data to appear in the bibliopgrafy of computer software. Feel free to move this to another thread
  • Not sure what you mean. Start a new thread for more
  • Oh, just remembered why this isn't already implemented and won't be any time soon. https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/32710/apa-6th-edition-computer-program-entries/
  • Any updates on custom types? I am trying to format a YouTube video using Turabian9 (Chicago 17 Full is nearest), but none of the field types meet my needs.
  • I don't think you should need a custom item type for a YouTube video -- it's a film with a URL -- but for your quesiton, no, custom item types are still nowhere particularly close to happening.