Unable to sync OR export library

After building a small library on my office computer, I discovered that I could not sync with my home laptop. As a Plan B, I copied both the Storage directory and the zotero.sqlite file and pasted them into the Zotero data directory on the laptop. I still can't access the items I had placed in my library in my office.

What am I doing wrong? I really need to be able to access my zotero library remotely.
  • We're aiming to fix slow syncing speeds this weekend.

But for your Plan B, as I said in the other thread, you'll need to provide more details about what exactly you've done and what the problem is. "I can't access the items" isn't clear.

http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/transferring_a_library
    http://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#where_did_my_items_go

If you're seeing an empty library, you've almost certainly selected the wrong data directory.
  • OK. Well, I have about 10 or 12 items in the Zotero library on my office computer, which uses Vista. I had already located the page you later referred me to
    (http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/transferring_a_library) and as directed, I located my data director on the office computer, and I copied the “Storage” directory and the zotero.sqlite file and – after closing Zotero -- copied them to Dropbox.

On my Windows 7 laptop, I again located my Zotero data directory, and dragged/dropped “storage” and “zotero.sqlite” from Dropbox into that directory, replacing the ones that were already there.

Then, when I opened Zotero on the laptop, none of the items, tags, or collections are there. The only item there is the quick start guide and the trash folder.
  • In general this is right, but if you'd be doing all correctly you would be seeing your library.
    One thing I noticed:
    "after closing Zotero" - that should be after closing _Firefox_

Another thing - I'd recommend to just copy the entire Zotero folder instead of just the two files - it shouldn't make a big difference, but it reduces the chance that you're grabbing or replacing the wrong file etc. Again, make sure you have _Firefox_ closed on the computer you're copying to (i.e. your W7 machine).
  • Aha. Copying the entire Zotero folder did the trick. I seem to recall that the documentation suggests just moving the stuff that I had moved, not the whole folder. Maybe a revision is in order?

Anyway, thanks for your prompt assistance.
  • from the "transferring your library" page
    The most reliable way to move your entire library to another machine is to copy the Zotero data folder from your Firefox profile on the first machine to the Firefox profile on your new machine.
    that seems fine, no?
  • edited January 27, 2011
    I am having one heck of a time syncing. I have set my login info and clicked the sync icon and all it does is go round and round. I have checked my library and it is all there. It is however quite large and I don't know if I need to be patient. But I have been waiting about 5 to 10 minutes and nothing. Am I doing something wrong or is it that my library is too big to sync?

Is there any way I can export my library from Zotero online to my desktop. I am traveling and using another computer and I don't have access to my regular desktop. Any and all help would be appreciated. Many thanks.