Firefox freezes after downloading multiple citation from Pubmed

2»
  • How do I access the revised translator from the repository?
  • https://www.zotero.org/trac/export/7845/extension/trunk/translators/NCBI%20PubMed.js

if you're in a big hurry. Otherwise, Dan will push the translator soon and then it will auto-update within 24hs or you can update manually in the General tab of the Zotero preferences.
  • But note that this is the same version that you already downloaded from Github. It does not address the slow imports that this thread is nominally about, it just provides a new way of importing Pubmed data.
  • When will the translator import faster?
  • no specific timeline - might take a bit.
  • I haven't tested this, but presumably you can get the faster import now by exporting the XML to a file and importing it, since, unlike when it's used as a site translator, that should use a single transaction.
  • How do you do that. Exactly?!
  • You should be able to check the entries you want, then go to "Send to" at the bottom of the search results, select "File" and set the format to XML. Save the file somewhere, then import it using the Import... entry in the gear menu in Zotero.
  • Thanks - The XML file save and Import functions works brilliantly! 324 citations took 60 seconds from pressing send in Pubmed to importing it into zotero with no freezes (47 seconds to import the xml file of 324 citations into zotero). Thanks guys. Would be nice to have a translator that does this!
  • It will, soon enough. You can also use view options in the search results at top left to display results in Pubmed XML, select all and copy. Then use "Import from Clipboard" in the Zotero gear menu to import. That should be somewhat faster than saving and importing from the saved file.
  • That only copies the maximum in the display page of 200 from the options. Any more will need to be copied separately.
  • edited February 7, 2011
    Zotero 2.1b6 will save items in a transaction. It takes me 12 seconds (3 to get the records from PubMed and 9 to save) on my >4 year old MacBook Pro, although it has an SSD, which might invalidate these results.
  • The same 50-item PubMed download that took 40 seconds for me before now takes around 5.5 seconds.