Localization problems / hard-coding "and", "et. al.", "In" etc.

Hi!

I'm having problems with replacing "and" and "et. al" in the citation style and "In:" in the bibliography (these are the ones I need to translate but I think there are other strings that might come up in the future; I need Finnish equivalents). I've made a custom style by combining Harvard and Vancouver styles. I will post the style here (once I get home) but I think the information below might be enough to solve this already:

- I'm using Firefox-3 (.something) with the 1.5 series plugin and OpenOffice 3.0.1, with the equivalent zotero plugin, in Linux.

- The document I'm using has been set with "Finnish" as the language. Also my locale setting is Finnish (fi-FI.UTF8) in Linux.

- I've tried to change the extensions.zotero.export.bibliographyLocale in Firefox's about:config to "fi" and and to "fi-FI" (and IIRC I also tried "fi-FI.UTF8").

- I tried to search the forums and via Google but didn't find a workaround. Perhaps I used the wrong keywords to search...

But, no matter what I do, the English version of the strings is shown. I see two possible workarounds:

1) Hard-code (some of the) strings in the style.

2) Make the localization work properly.

Though, for a proper solution, only the 1) option (hard-code in the style) is viable, since the localization / language of the document doesn't always be the same; also sometimes you need to mix the local language and latin expressions. There are several use cases. But in my use case 2) would be enough, since in the present document only Finnish is required, just thought if there is a pointer to how to make 1) work, it would help others too =)

I found threads similar problems with German localization but no workarounds / solutions (in some threads the German equivalents were shown when English was wanted, in others vice versa).
  • Changing the locale to Finnish won't work for you here, because it appears that the Finnish translator(s) at Babelzilla did not enter the relevant strings in locales.xml. I encourage you to register on Babelzilla and translate this file, which will address your problem as well as any other Zotero user who needs to cite in Finnish. It's not technical work and just involves replacing text in a document that looks like:

<term name="at">at</term>
    <term name="in">in</term>
    <term name="ibid">ibid</term>
    <term name="accessed">accessed</term>

You'll probably need to send a message to user "hirvela" to request permission to edit the Finnish locale. Many thanks.
  • Hi sean and thanks for your very fast reply!

I've registered to Babelzilla and need yet to send a message to Hirvela to make the changes so that everyone may benefit from them. (For some reason I can't log in to Babelzilla currently.) However, a few questionss still remain:

1) In BabelZilla I could only find 1.0 series of Zotero, are these files used for 1.5 series too?
    2) Is there a way to change the strings in a style file?

The latter is needed in the use case, where the locale setting does *not* coincide with the citation language, and when not all strings need to be translated (as in using some latin expressions, such as "et. al.", but Finnish for the rest)

I made some changes already locally in my install (if someone stumbles here because of the same problem, the localization files are in zotero.jar file). Although, it will not be so straightforward to translate the file totally in to a synthetic language such as Finnish. Actually, I think there's a great possibility that the CSL language is too limited in this aspect, although I would never know since I don't know it's insides (and I'm not a programmer of any sort for another matter). But, I was able to make the changes *I* need, and it works for me =)
  • please support my feature request to add a per-document setting for the citation language
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/16112/perdocument-locale-setting-choosing-language/